Winthrop Center, is a skyscraper in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. When completed, Winthrop Center would stand as the fourth-tallest building in Boston, Massachusetts. The tower is being built on the site of the defunct Winthrop Square Garage in the Financial District.
On October 26, 2016, the Boston Redevelopment Agency approved the construction of the tower.
On October 18, 2018 Millennium Partners announced a groundbreaking date for October 24, 2018 and changing the name from “Winthrop Square Tower” to “Winthrop Center”. The completion of the tower is planned for March 2023.
One Winthrop Square Park redevelopment
Winthrop Square to receive enhancements in connection with tower construction, and with that, Millennium Partners decided to redevelop the heart of Winthrop Square Park. It would include street trees, a water feature, granite paving, flowering understory trees, canopy trees, sculptural benches and a pedestrian connection to Winthrop Center.
Many activists and residents in the city have opposed the building's construction, as the building as originally proposed would create a large shadow on Boston Common for at least 90 minutes on some mornings. This would break a state law that prohibits shadows on Boston Common or the Public Garden. The tower was also scrutinized by Massport, claiming that the tower's height would interfere with air traffic from Logan Airport. Boston Mayor Marty Walsh has stated that he wishes to modify the state law prohibiting the building's construction, to allow the construction of the tower but to prevent future developments in the area.
The planned height of the building was altered in September 2017, to comply with the Federal Aviation Administration's declaration that the building's proposed height was too tall and would, therefore, disrupt flights from Logan International Airport. The planned height of the building was lowered from 775 feet (236 m) to 702 feet (214 m). The height was reduced again, in January 2018, to 691 feet (211 m), and a modified design with a height of 690.7 feet (210.5 m) was approved on May 1, 2018.
- Logan, Tim (2016-08-03). "City picks Millennium to develop Winthrop Sq. tower". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Goodison, Donna (2016-08-03). "City panel backs Millennium Partners for Winthrop Square project". The Boston Herald. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Logan, Tim (2016-06-21). "Bids reach $151m for rights to Winthrop Sq. Garage site". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Logan, Tim (2016-10-26). "It's official: Winthrop Square Garage will be turned into one of Boston's tallest towers". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- Carlock, Catherine (November 11, 2016). "Millennium Partners boosts Winthrop Square tower height". Boston Business Journal. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Goodison, Donna. "Developer: Flight paths mean tower will be shorter – Boston Herald". Bostonherald.com. Retrieved 2021-11-26.
- Acitelli, Tom (January 8, 2018). "Winthrop Square tower renderings show a still-sizable spire, whatever the shrinkage". Vox Media. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- height above average grade per pdf drawings referenced below
- "Winthrop Square tower design finally approved - The Boston Globe". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- Carlock, Catherine (2018-10-24). "Winthrop Square ground-breaking brings decade-plus long saga to a close". Boston Business Journal. Retrieved 2018-10-24.
- Logan, Tim (December 7, 2016). "Here's what that long shadow from the Winthrop Square tower could look like". The Boston Globe. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Acitelli, Tom (November 9, 2016). "Shadow concerns may doom plans for Boston's second-tallest tower". Curbed Boston. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Logan, Tim (January 12, 2017). "Massport objects to height of Winthrop Square skyscraper". The Boston Globe. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Logan, Tim (April 10, 2017). "Walsh proposes deal on tower, shadows". The Boston Globe. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Buell, Spencer. "Millennium Agrees to Shorten Winthrop Square Tower over Flight Concerns". Bostonmagazine.com. Retrieved 2021-11-26.
- Acitelli, Tom (2017-09-11). "Winthrop Square Garage tower chops height to comply with FAA regulations - Curbed Boston". Boston.curbed.com. Retrieved 2021-11-26.
- "Developer lowers height of proposed Winthrop Square tower". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2021-11-26.