A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2020)
William Thomas Greer Jr.
|Former President of Virginia Wesleyan College|
January 1992 – June 2015
|Preceded by||Lambuth McGeehee Clarke|
|Succeeded by||Scott Douglas Miller|
|Born||July 28. 1942|
Georgia (U.S. state)
|Died||August 30, 2023|
|Spouse||Fann Dewar Greer|
|Children||William T. Greer III|
Robert Dewar Greer
David Benjamin Greer
|Alma mater||Valdosta State College|
Georgia State University
William Thomas Greer Jr. was the third president of Virginia Wesleyan College and was named president emeritus upon his retirement in 2015.
Prior to his appointment as the president of Virginia Wesleyan College, Greer served as the president of both Brevard College and Andrew College. He was also a minister for the United Methodist Church in his home state of Georgia.
Greer earned a bachelor's degree from Valdosta State University, his master's in divinity from Drew Theological Seminary, a doctorate in sacred theology from Emory University, and his Ph.D. in Higher Education from Georgia State University.
Presidency of Virginia Wesleyan College
President Greer served as the leader of Virginia Wesleyan College (VWC) for 22 years from January 1992 until his retirement in June 2015. Under his leadership, the college grew in size to include new buildings and facilities, higher student enrollment, additional faculty and staff, and a growth in endowments.
Greer saw projects such as the Jane P. Batten Student Center and Brock Village built during his tenure. VWC made strides toward becoming a Phi Beta Kappa-caliber institution under Greer's direction. The Birdsong Community Service Program was also established under Greer's presidency. The program greatly increased opportunities for students to volunteer throughout the community to help the needs and to support the surrounding areas.
Upon his retirement, Greer had boosted the college's enrollment and left behind an endowment of $55 million, nearly quadrupling the amount from his first years as president.
In May 2015, an announcement was made about the addition of the Greer Environmental Sciences Building to the VWU campus. The 44,000 square foot facility is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified.
- "Billy Greer". www.bloomberg.com.
- "Dr. Billy Greer In As Interim President of ESCC | Eastern Shore Community College". es.vccs.edu.
- "The clarion : the Brevard College weekly. online resource (None) 1935-current, August 25, 1985, Image 1 · North Carolina Newspapers".
- "VWC President Announces Retirement Plans". www.vwu.edu.
- Mckinney, Matt. "Virginia Wesleyan president retiring after 23 years". pilotonline.com.
- "VWU Greer Environmental Sciences Building Topping Out Ceremony".
- "Greer Environmental Sciences Center". www.vwu.edu.
- https://www.vwu.edu/academics/school-of-mathematics-and-science/pdfs/vwubrochure-sustainablebusinessoct19.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "The clarion : the Brevard College weekly. online resource (None) 1935-current, February 28, 1989, Image 1 · North Carolina Newspapers".
- "Mary Dewar - Obituary". Legacy.com.