Wikipedia:Using JAWS is a help page on accessibility for old and new Wikipedians who use the screen reader JAWS. Firefox users should add "shift" to the shortcuts listed below.
Quick reference guide
- Jump to search box = Alt+ F (or Alt+ Shift + F if Alt+ F is processed by your browser, e.g. File menu), Then hit "enter" for forms mode unless you have JAWS 10 or later and you have the Auto Forms Mode enabled where you can down arrow into the edit field and Forms Mode will turn on, or if you have the "Navigation Quick Key Delay" setting set to anything other than "Never" where the Forms Mode will turn on automatically after a specific time, then type your word(s) and hit "enter" on your keyboard. JAWS should start reading the main article (If you jumped to an article).
It can sometimes be helpful to know what the page looks like to sighted users. All pages on Wikipedia have the same format.
Main article space
When you open a Wikipedia page JAWS will start reading the "article". There are several tabs on the top lined up like recipe cards above the content of the article and below the static links along the top. These tabs are specific to the current article. (links to an article describing the function are followed by short cut keys)
- Article Alt+C
- Discussion (or talk page) Alt+T
- Edit this page Alt+E
- History Alt+H
- Move Alt+M
- Watch/Unwatch Alt+W.
The left side of the page is static and it has the Wikipedia image in the top corner. Below the image is
- A Navigation box containing several links (links to location followed by short cut if available).
- Main page Alt+Z
- Community portal no short cut
- Featured content no short cut
- Current events no short cut
- Recent changes Alt+R
- Random article Alt+X
- About Wikipedia no short cut
- Contact us no short cut
- Make a donation no short cut
- Help no short cut
- A Search box Alt+F, Then hit "enter" for forms mode unless (see above), then type your word(s) and hit "enter" on your keyboard. For a search box in which the cursor is already focused, use www.wikipedia.org
- The Toolbox which is another Navigation box that is article specific and usually contains the following links.
- What links here Alt+J
- Related changes Alt+K
- Upload file Alt+U
- Special pages Alt+Q
- Printable version no short cut
- Permanent link no short cut, in theory you could use Alt+ H (history) to find the link.
Along the top of the page is a static area containing links to the following. (links to an article describing the function are followed by short cut keys)
- Your user page (if you are signed on with an account) Alt+. (period)
- My talk Alt+N
- My preferences Alt+- (dash)
- My watchlist Alt+L
- My contributions Alt+Y
- Log in / Log out to log in or create an account Special:Userlogin (use Webvisum to solve the CAPTCHA, ask User:Graham87 for an invite if necessary)
- Wikipedia:Keyboard shortcuts
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Usability
- Web Accessibility Initiative