Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/September 25
- 1066: Harold II of England defeated Harald III of Norway in the Battle of Stamford Bridge, marking the end of Viking invasions of Great Britain.
- 1396: Ottoman forces under Bayezid I defeated a Christian alliance led by Sigismund of Hungary in the Battle of Nicopolis.
- 1513: Conquistador Vasco Núñez de Balboa (pictured), upon a peak in presentday Darién, Panama, became the first European to see the Pacific Ocean, which he named Mar del Sur, or South Sea.
- 1890: As envisioned by John Muir, the Yosemite National Park was established in the U.S. state of California.
- 1962: The People's Democratic Republic of Algeria was formally proclaimed. Ferhat Abbas was elected President of the provisional government, with Ahmed Ben Bella as Prime Minister.
- 1996: The last Magdalen Asylum in Ireland was closed.
Recent days: September 24 – September 23 – September 22