Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/September 16
September 16: Dieciséis de septiembre in Mexico (1810), Independence Day in Papua New Guinea (1975), Constitution Day in the United States (2005).
- 1597: Twelve Korean ships commanded by Admiral Yi Soon Shin sank 31 enemy ships and defeated a Japanese invasion.
- 1810: Miguel Hidalgo, the parish priest in Dolores, Guanajuato, delivered the Grito de Dolores to his congregation, instigating the Mexican War of Independence against Spain.
- 1941: Shah Reza Pahlavi of Iran was forced to abdicate in favour of his son, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.
- 1963: Malaya, North Borneo, Sarawak and Singapore merged to form Malaysia.
- 1982: A Lebanese militia led by Elie Hobeika carried out a massacre in the Palestinian refugee camp of Sabra and Shatila.
Recent days: September 15 – September 14 – September 13