- 1543 – King Henry VIII of England married Catherine Parr (pictured), his sixth and last wife, at Hampton Court Palace.
- 1790 – The Civil Constitution of the Clergy was passed, a law that subordinated the Roman Catholic Church in France to the French government.
- 1862 – The Medal of Honor, the highest military decoration awarded by the United States government, was first authorized by the U.S. Congress.
- 1943 – World War II: Nazi German and Soviet forces engaged each other at the Battle of Prokhorovka, one of the largest tank battles in military history.
- 1979 – The Gilbert Islands gained independence from the United Kingdom and became known as Kiribati.
- 2006 – Hezbollah forces crossed the Israel–Lebanon border and attacked Israeli military positions while firing rockets and mortars at Israeli towns, sparking the July War.