Wikipedia:Please bite the newbies
This is a humorous essay.
It contains the advice or opinions of one or more Wikipedia contributors and is made to be humorous. This page is not one of Wikipedia's policies or guidelines, as it has not been thoroughly vetted by the community. Some essays represent widespread norms; others only represent minority viewpoints. This essay isn't meant to be taken seriously.
|This page contains material that is kept because it is considered humorous. |
Such material is not meant to be taken seriously.
|This page in a nutshell: Please be as mean to others as possible, especially the newcomers. Remember to assume bad faith. Material considered too civil may be challenged and removed.|
Wikipedia always has lots of newcomers that drive you up the wall. We must be extremely hostile to them and always assume that they want to destroy our precious wiki in order to have them understand the true meaning of Wikipedia.
New members often seem all sweetness and light at first, but most turn out to be vandals and bad-faith editors at the end. Therefore, it is very important to assume bad faith and bite them. Hard. So if you see a newcomer do ANYTHING remotely wrong, go ahead and bite their damn ass.
Definition of a 'newbie'
In general, a newbie is an editor who joined Wikipedia this very moment. However, some say that any Wikipedia member that joined after 2001 is a newbie. Therefore, we must learn to bite each other and even ourselves – even if you have been editing Wikipedia since Jimbo Wales.
How to bite a newbie
- Assume bad faith
- Use very strong words
- Confuse them with Wikipedia jargon
- Revert their edits, even if they are constructive (make sure to use edit summaries such as "reverting vandalism", "reverting troll" and "reverting sockpuppet", even if they are reverting vandalism themselves).
- Tag their articles for (preferably speedy) deletion
- Report them to the administrators' noticeboard
- Threaten to put them on trial at ArbCom (or even actually do it)
- Respond to their reports of problems in articles by telling them they have to do it in a "change X to Y format"
- Threaten to sue them
If you have succeeded in biting newbies, be sure to add the following userboxes to your userpage:
- Wikipedia:Newcomers are delicious, so go ahead and bite them
- Wikipedia:Give 'em enough rope, and they'll hang themselves
...what the hell is this?