The new landing page proposal is a series of video conferences held with the WMF Growth Team in 2022–2023 as a result of the new page patrol open letter. The topic of discussion is to create software that gives brand new users trying to make an article from scratch a better experience.
- User:BusterD - project lead (Jan 2023–Present)
- User:Kudpung - project lead (Oct 2022–Dec 2022)
- User:Novem Linguae - created this summary document
List of meetings
- 2022-12-09: Wikipedia talk:Growth Team features § Meeting details
- 2023-01-19: Wikipedia talk:Growth Team features § Reminder about upcoming meeting
Account creation successful
- A page to be displayed after a new user registers, perhaps after the survey
- Mockup: User:Kudpung/New LP
- This looks similar to Wikipedia:New user landing page, but is different. We want to insert it into the "account creation successful" flow, not the "non-autoconfirmed user tried to create article in mainspace" flow.
- Approximate # of pages to be created from wireframes: 1
Your first article
- New "your first article" page
- Mockup: User:Kudpung/YFA, reading time about 6 minutes
- To replace: Help:Your first article, reading time about 40 minutes
- Approximate # of pages to be created from wireframes: None. page exists at User:Kudpung/YFA
- New "Article wizard" page
- Mockup: TBD
- To replace: Wikipedia:Article Wizard, which replaced Wikipedia:Article wizard/version1
- Approximate # of pages to be created from wireframes: 10?
- Will be truly interactive. The current wizard is merely a click-through check list. It offers no help or advice for building a first article page and is therefore a misleading misnomer.
- Will use a library of up to around 60 thematic article templates (Template:Article templates).
- These were created on a grant, ostensibly for use at editathons
- These are based on a previous template that was frequently used by an older version of Wizard
- These use standard page elements to choose from, in the right layout and order, appropriate infoboxes, and placeholders for images
- Their talk pages could additionally be preprepared with the appropriate BLP warnings and Wikiproject banners.
- The templates could also include popup tooltips whose code would be automatically removed when the draft is saved.
- The new Wizard would be an indispensable tool for onboarding creators of their first article.
- It is not to be confused with mentoring schemes.
- It will greatly enhance a new creator's UX and encourage user retention.
- In doing so, it addresses the Foundation's goals, but eliminates the creation of as many articles as possible with disregard to the quality.
- It therefore reduces the burden on NPP and AfC and the number of disenchanted new users.
- Enterprisey has expressed interest in making a prototype. Will place here if/when it is created.
Current new user flow
- Create account page
- Main page, with a popup pointing at Special:Homepage
- Special:Homepage, with a popup that says "welcome to your homepage"
Clicking the email verification link also directs to Special:Homepage
Pages where this project has been discussed
- Wikipedia talk:Growth Team features § Newcomer experience + new article creation
- Wikipedia:Village pump (idea lab) § WP/WMF - WP Development approval process? NPP/New Article changes
- mw:Growth/Article creation for new editors
- Wikipedia:New pages patrol/New landing page proposal/Today's walkthrough of new article creation
- mw:Article Creation Workflow/Landing System - Old idea for an information page that we like, is the inspiration for some of the ideas above
- mw:Extension:ArticleCreationWorkflow - Intercepts non-autoconfirmed editors trying to make pages in mainspace
- Wikipedia:New user landing page - What is displayed to non-autoconfirmed users trying to make pages in mainspace
- mw:Extension:GrowthExperiments - Intercepts newly created accounts
- Special:Homepage - Added as a tab to the user and user talk pages. is a "dashboard" for new users, giving them ideas for tasks to do and connecting them with a mentor.
- Wikipedia:Article wizard - Information page