This is an essay on WP:Civility in WP:Content disputes to avoid or resolve WP:Edit wars.
It contains the advice or opinions of one or more Wikipedia contributors. This page is not an encyclopedia article, nor is it one of Wikipedia's policies or guidelines, as it has not been thoroughly vetted by the community. Some essays represent widespread norms; others only represent minority viewpoints.
|This page in a nutshell: to practice honest and frank expression: Cease, Ask, Name, Discover, Operate, Re-evaluate.|
CANDOR is an acronym used to resolve content disputes, edit wars and fights that sometimes arise between editors. The word candor means honest and frank expression. The acronym CANDOR stands for: Cease, Ask, Name, Discover, Operate, Re-evalute. Memorizing CANDOR can be beneficial before an editorial disagreement gets worse.
- Cease what you are doing. Count to 10. Take a break. Read a book. Take a walk. Meditate. Watch some enjoyable videos on the website of your choice. Don't edit. Don't press the "publish changes" button. Do what you have to do to cool down.
- Ask yourself, what is the nature of the dispute? Content, or conduct, or both? How many editors are involved? What exactly is happening with the other editors? Does an senior editor in this subject matter need to come sort things out? Has uncivilized behavior occurred that warrants getting an administrator involved?
- Name the problem as you see it. Describe it to the other editors without blaming anyone. Adding fuel to the fire is an easy way to get burned.
- Discover a problem-solving plan with those involved. Make a compromise. Ask another person not involved for an opinion.
- Operate that plan. Put it into effect with the cooperation of the others involved. Make sure everyone involved knows the problem-solving plan.
- Re-evaluate the plan. Often people do not complete the process of putting a plan of action in place because they feel better after talking things over or they get distracted. When the problem arises again, they think their problem-solving efforts have been wasted. Instead, resolve to use the plan.
Refinement is the Goal
WP:Bold-refine is the ideal collaborative editing cycle. Alternatively, there is Bold-Revert-Discuss, consider alternatives to reverting: WP:BRDR.