|Type||Public Sector Undertaking|
|Manoj Kumar |
(Chairman & MD)
|Owner||Government of India|
Western Coalfields Limited (WCL) is one of the eight Subsidiary Companies of Coal India Limited (CIL) which is under administrative control of the Ministry of Coal. The Company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 has its registered office at Coal Estate, Civil Lines, Nagpur–440001. WCL has been conferred "Miniratna" status on 15 March 2007. The company has contributed about 6.7% of the national coal production during 2014–15. It has mining operation spread over the states of Maharashtra (in Nagpur, Chandrapur & Yeotmal Districts) and Madhya Pradesh (in Betul and Chhindawara Districts). The company is a major source of supplies of coal to the industries located in Western India in the States of Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and also in Southern India in the States of Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala. A large numbers of Power Houses under Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh - Electricity Boards are major consumers of its coal along with cement, steel, chemical, fertilizer, paper and brick Industries in these states.
Mr. Manoj Kumar is the present Chairman-cum-Managing Director of Western Coalfields. The total production of the Western Coalfields limited stood at 57.64.15 MT during 2019–20 against 39.73 MT during 2013–14, an increase of 3.6%. The firm has set up 20 new coal projects of 40 MT per annum capacity since 2014–15. Western Coalfields Ltd has launched a roadmap to achieve beyond 75 million tonnes of output by FY 2023-24 as its contribution towards the ambitious 1 billion tonnes target of parent firm Coal India.
On 6 June 2020, Western Coalfields inaugurated two mines in Madhya Pradesh and 1 mine in Maharashtra. Adasa UG to OC Mine in Nagpur and Two mines in Chhindwara Sharda mines in Kanhan Area and Dhankhasa mines in Pench Area
- ^ "Western Coalfield Limited (WCL) | Western Coalfields Limited". www.westerncoal.gov.in. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- ^ "Management Profile | Western Coalfields Limited". www.westerncoal.gov.in. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- ^ "Western Coalfields Ltd reports growth after a gap of five years". timesofindia-economictimes. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- ^ "Coal India arm kick-starts roadmap to achieve 75 MT output by FY23". timesofindia-economictimes. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- Coal India subsidiaries
- Coal companies of India
- Mining in Maharashtra
- Companies based in Maharashtra
- Government-owned companies of India
- Energy companies established in 1975
- Non-renewable resource companies established in 1975
- Companies nationalised by the Government of India
- Energy in Maharashtra
- 1975 establishments in Maharashtra
- Indian company stubs