We Fight to Be Free
|We Fight to Be Free|
|Directed by||Kees Van Oostrum|
|Written by||Lionel Chetwynd|
|Produced by||Olga Arana|
Jose C. Mangual
|Cinematography||Kees Van Oostrum|
|Edited by||Victor Du Bois|
|Music by||Trevor Jones|
|Distributed by||Mount Vernon|
The film features the story of American Revolutionary war hero and first United States president, George Washington, including his military achievements and pivotal moments in his life.
- Sebastian Roché as George Washington
- Caroline Goodall as Martha Dandridge Custis
- Stephen Lang as James Craik
- Peter Woodward as Edward Braddock
The film has received generally positive reviews. Desson Thomson wrote for The Washington Post, "'We Fight to Be Free' is the real headliner: a rousing 18-minute action film about Washington's life that greets visitors to the new Ford Orientation Center". Denise D. Meringolo was critical of the film, writing for The Public Historian:
"We Fight to Be Free" is oddly incomplete—it fails to explain fully Washington’s attachment to the estate or to portray the complexity of his choices as a military officer and a political figure.
- George Washington (1984 miniseries)
- George Washington II: The Forging of a Nation (1986 miniseries)
- Washington, 2020 miniseries
- List of television series and miniseries about the American Revolution
- List of films about the American Revolution
- Andrew M. Schocket (February 2017). Fighting Over the Founders: How We Remember the American Revolution. NYU Press. pp. 111–. ISBN 978-1-4798-8410-0.
- "Movie Showtimes". Mount Vernon.org. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Trescott, Jacqueline (October 24, 2006). "Fleshing Out a Founding Father Mount Vernon Additions Provide New Entree to George Washington's World". The Washington Post.com. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Heritage, American. "Mount Vernon". American Heritage.com. Retrieved February 16, 2020.
- Thomson, Desson (October 24, 2006). "A Visceral Film's Deep-Seated Effect". The Washington Post.com. Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Meringolo, Denise D. (2007-11-01). "Balancing Inspiration and Education at George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens". The Public Historian. 29 (4): 129–135. doi:10.1525/tph.2007.29.4.129. ISSN 0272-3433.