This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)
|Voiceless bidental fricative|
People with hypoglossia (abnormally small tongue) may use it for target /s/.
Features of the voiceless bidental fricative:
- Its manner of articulation is fricative, which means it is produced by constricting air flow through a narrow channel at the place of articulation, causing turbulence.
- Its place of articulation is bidental, which means it is articulated with the lower and upper teeth pressed together.
- Its phonation is voiceless, which means it is produced without vibrations of the vocal cords.
- It is an oral consonant, which means air is allowed to escape through the mouth only.
- Because the sound is not produced with airflow over the tongue, the central–lateral dichotomy does not apply.
- The airstream mechanism is pulmonic, which means it is articulated by pushing air solely with the intercostal muscles and diaphragm, as in most sounds.
|Adyghe||Black Sea (Shapsug) dialect||дахэ||[daːh̪͆a]||'pretty'||Corresponds to [x] in other dialects.|