User talk:Dodoïste

Page contents not supported in other languages.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Hello, Dodoïste, and welcome to Wikipedia! Thank you for your contributions. I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are some pages that you might find helpful:

I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wikipedian! Please sign your messages on discussion pages using four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically insert your username and the date. If you need help, check out Wikipedia:Questions, ask me on my talk page, or ask your question and then place {{helpme}} before the question on your talk page. Again, welcome!

Also, take a look at my comments on Matt's talk page. Flowanda | Talk 03:57, 9 March 2008 (UTC)Reply[reply]

I added a source about drum might want to check my wording. Flowanda | Talk 17:51, 11 April 2008 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Your request for help[edit]

Bonjour Dodoïste! You asked me for some help in hope that I might be bilingual, mais alors, je ne suis pas. I can carry on a simple conversation (and my French accent is fairly good!), but I'm not able to translate. Regarding the "flagged revisions" thing, I'm not sure what that is about, even though it's written in english! PKT (talk) 15:08, 30 May 2008 (UTC)Reply[reply]

A tag has been placed on UtilisateurDodoïste/Brouillon requesting that it be speedily deleted from Wikipedia. This has been done under section A1 of the criteria for speedy deletion, because it is a very short article providing little or no context to the reader. Please see Wikipedia:Stub for our minimum information standards for short articles. Also please note that articles must be on notable subjects and should provide references to reliable sources that verify their content.

If you think that this notice was placed here in error, you may contest the deletion by adding {{hangon}} to the top of the page that has been nominated for deletion (just below the existing speedy deletion or "db" tag), coupled with adding a note on the talk page explaining your position, but be aware that once tagged for speedy deletion, if the page meets the criterion it may be deleted without delay. Please do not remove the speedy deletion tag yourself, but don't hesitate to add information to the page that would render it more in conformance with Wikipedia's policies and guidelines. Lastly, please note that if the page does get deleted, you can contact one of these admins to request that they userfy the page or have a copy emailed to you. ∗ \ / () 11:19, 6 May 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]

You did well. I wanted to create a test page, in my user namespace. I am used to create subpages like "Utilisateur:Dodoïste/*", since the french word for user is utilisateur. I have created it in User:Dodoïste/Brouillon. Thanks. Dodoïste (talk) 12:14, 6 May 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Please see Wikipedia:Bots/Requests for approval/Xenobot 6.1 and ensure I've accurately described the problem. Feel free to amend directly. –xenotalk 18:21, 8 July 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]

You did great, everything is well explained and accurate. Thanks. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 18:38, 8 July 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]

i have a friend...[edit]

...who has been working at accessibility for some time now. Some months ago, I worked with him but he became inactive. I wondered if you might take a look and see if you can lend a hand? User talk:Hopiakuta#Your message. Maybe this is something for the usability group? –xenotalk 01:54, 24 September 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Bach-Busoni Editions reference list[edit]

Hi, I was surprised to see you revert my edit, since you are the one who showed me how to do the CSS lists. However, I see your point. I still would like to try a different format for the list. So I tried converting it to a simple MediaWiki table format (see Bach-Busoni Editions#References). To me this is both easier to read AND easier to edit. But before I continue using this new idea, I would like to know whether you think this will be an acceptable alternative to the bullet list. Thanks for feedback. --Robert.Allen (talk) 19:33, 16 November 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hello. Sorry to disappoint you. :p
Well, CSS is generally used in a file with the .css extension. The first thing I showed you wasn't CSS, il was regular HTML. You see, the best way to solve this issue is to be lazy. :D With CSS, you can change the appereance of every kind of object, on every pages of Wikipedia, with a single edit. And it won't affect the easiness to edit pages.
That's why I told you afterwards: you can also add to your Special:Mypage/monobook.css Special:Mypage/vector.css the following code :
If you want more or less space, you simply change the value of the pixel. :-) This code adds a space between every item in a list. And editing won't be more complicated. :-)
It would be great to add it to MediaWiki:Common.css, and improve it for everybody. The problem is, this code affects every <li> item, and <li> is used on various purposes.
We should ask the developers to add a class to the <li> elements used in articles, so we can customise the <li> we want to without affecting others. Or we should find another way to deal with it.
But surely, doing something complicated in the articles is the wrong way to do things. You are not going to edit 3,096,307 articles by yourself anyway. And even if you did, the result would be very hard to maintain. We would have to edit every single article to change the value of the px space between <li> elements.
CSS is easy to maintain, because all the layout is in one single page.
I should drop a note at the village pump (technical) about this issue. It's the best way to interact with the tech guys. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 01:26, 17 November 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]

I really appreciate all your feedback. Sorry but I obviously did get confused about HTML vs. CSS. Anyway, what I'm mainly concerned about are the pages that I work on and edit. When the items in a list are long and wrap to second and third lines, I find the bullet lists to be difficult, not only to read but also to edit (because there isn't any white space between the list items, so they all sort of run together to my eye.) So I'm trying to use an alternative kind of list. Since you said I should preferably use Wikicode, I tried making the lists with a simple Wikitable without borders. This certainly seems to work well: it's easier to edit (each item in the list is nicely separated from the others in the edit window) AND to read on the rendered page, because there is also enough of a gap between the items, that my eye can pick out each one very easily. (At least in in the two browsers I have, Safari and FireFox; I don't know about others.) I also like it because it gets rid of all the bullet clutter and improves my ability to quickly scan the list. So I guess my bottom-line question is: is it OK for now to use the Wikitable list on the pages I am editing as an alternative to the bullet lists? --Robert.Allen (talk) 02:39, 17 November 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]

The confusion between HTML and CSS way my fault for not explaining clearly. My apologies. :p
I also appreciate your feedback. With your help, I discovered why so many users are formatting list the way you do. It's very helpful.
I've just dropped a message at Wikipedia:Village_pump_(technical)#Readability_and_accessibilty_of_lists. We'll see the results. It would be great if we could resolve this issue while improving the software. In the meantime, I would ask that you don't rush into any kind of options. We'll take a decision afterwards. Thanks. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 01:22, 18 November 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]

re: Collapsible tables and your JavaScript[edit]

Sure, I have some time this weekend. Are there any other usability issues with it that should be fixed as well? Cheers, —Ruud 14:17, 19 November 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]

File:Account creation.PNG listed for deletion[edit]

An image or media file that you uploaded or altered, File:Account creation.PNG, has been listed at Wikipedia:Files for deletion. Please see the discussion to see why this is (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry), if you are interested in it not being deleted. Thank you. FASTILYsock(TALK) 01:38, 4 January 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Colour discussion[edit]

I notice you have previously commented on the use of colour on Wikipedia talk:Using colours. You may be interested in commenting at this discussion. (talk) 17:31, 20 February 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

See here as well. Thanks! Plastikspork ―Œ(talk) 02:27, 19 March 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hello, Dodoïste. You have new messages at Sabrebd's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Icon update[edit]

Hi Dodoïste, I wanted to update you personally since you've been so helpful. Here's the update I provided on the Pending Changes issue page:

I spoke with several folks at Wikimedia Foundation who wanted to spend a little time mulling over how and where we use the icons. Trevor and Howie were part of that conversation, and I believe both of them are at Wikimania in Gdansk now, so if you happen to be there as well and you want to talk about this topic, be sure to find them. -- RobLa 21:50, 8 July 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Re: Improving structure of data tables[edit]

Sounds great! Yes, my version of JAWS supports the scope attribute. I can't think of any complex examples off-hand. Graham87 01:40, 3 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Hi Dodoïste, I got the wrong talk page when I mentioned WT:DISCOG at WT:ACCESS#How to make accessible tables. The correct talk page is one of the project's sub-pages and I've started the discussion which can be found at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Discographies/style#Accessibility issues. I think I've got all the pertinent points across, but feel free to jump in and correct any mistakes I may have made. Thanks, --JD554 (talk) 11:57, 4 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks for the link. It is just like you thought: your thread is pertinent and accurate. Well done! :-) I'll follow the discussion as it is a very interesting feedback on how the updated guideline can be applied in Wikipedia. Dodoïste (talk) 13:02, 4 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]


You recently !voted on Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Microformats. This is a courtesy note to let you now that I have now posted, as promised, my view there, and to ask you revisit the debate. Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing); Andy's talk; Andy's edits 15:11, 14 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Good idea?[edit]

I've had a go at simplying a few accessibility changes specifically for music editors and I thought the completed essay could be distributed amongst those in the community. Since i know many of the high profile editors I thought that if they saw me adopting the policy it might have a knock on affect. See User:Lil-unique1/Accessibility and let me know what you think. Please do not edit the page but if there are errors do let me know. ... -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 (talk2me) 23:00, 16 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Good idea indeed. Whoa, there are far too many things going on here, I can't keep up. I won't be able to comment in detail before this w-e, please remind me my duty. ;-) For now, the basics:
  • "If a completely new editor wishes to modify the article with credible information they will find it extremely difficult because they won't know all of the intricate coding that goes into making the page look pretty." -> This is a usability concern, and is absolutely not related to accessibility. This is a very frequent misunderstanding.
  • "If viewed on a portable device e.g. mobile phone or iPod touch such pages often appear misformed." -> Interoperability is one of the induced effects of accessibility (and a part of the "universal accessibility" approach) but is not the main goal in itself. Though it's often strongly encouraged by accessibility experts.
To learn more about it, I suggest Introduction to Web Accessibility by WebAIM and Introduction to Web Accessibility by the W3C. Yours, Dodoïste (talk) 23:26, 16 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Apologies. I got a bit too excited. I just thought an essay relating specifically to songs and articles (something I edit alot) would be useful in explaining how to implement the changes affectively. I've modified the essay so that it is about accessibility and usability. I will read the the links you've provided and update the essay over the next couple of days. -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 (talk2me) 23:40, 16 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
It's much better already with these precisions added. And there is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic, quite the contrary. :-) I only regret not being on holiday and having 24h in a day. :p
If you like videos, I found those to be really mind-blowing.
Yours, Dodoïste (talk) 23:55, 16 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thank you. I'll look into it and then when its significantly improved I'll get your opinion again if that's ok? I want to make sure its inline with the policy before I direct people towards it as an aid to improving accessibility and usability. -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 (talk2me) 00:11, 17 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Sure I'm fine with that. The explanation about what accessibility is needs to be expanded (at least one or two paragraphs more). There are a few mistakes to fix here and there on the code and recommendations. No emergency though. Yours, Dodoïste (talk) 00:24, 17 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Wikipedia:Pending changes/Vote comment[edit]

As you commented in the pending closure discussion I am notifying you that the Wikipedia:Pending changes/Vote comment is now open and will be for two weeks, discussion as required can continue on the talkpage. Thanks. Off2riorob (talk) 00:09, 22 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Time to update Project Discography/Style[edit]

With regards to all the recent developments for discographies your comment at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Discographies/style#Time to update would be appreciated. -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 (talk2me) 22:10, 28 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Generally I think we're all on the right path with these accessibility changes. But our two friends wish to take things further and completely abandon any type of deviation or presentation formatting. I think what RexXs and Jack are proposing is way out of wikipedia's league and goes much beyond accessibility. Their vision for wikipedia is clearly one which is both accessible, usable and devoid of any form of presentation formatting. Whilst in an ideal world it would perfect in the real world such changes are impractical. Wikipedia has too many issue to contend with such as reducing size, clearly displaying references and presenting information in a profession and developed manner. We need to draw a line somewhere otherwise this debate will go on forever and detract users from what's most important - the actual articles and content. Thank you for you're response. I hope my 'so-called' resistance (as our friends put it) didn't slow down progress, rather I hope I was able to offer a different angle to the discussion. -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 (talk2me) 21:13, 29 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
That's it! You are absolutely right. We are not aiming at 100% accessibility: it's impossible. Rather, we need to prioritize according to impact (W3C's accessibility level of priorities: A, AA or AAA) and degree of feasibility (with MediaWiki's syntax and the burden it places on users). Have a look at the tutorial draft I'm making for an example of priorities: Wikipedia:WikiProject Accessibility/Manual of Style draft/Data tables tutorial.
If you would like to get further involved in accessibility you're warmly welcomed. You grasp new information quickly and I believe you know the most important basics about accessibility already. I have the feeling you can play a leading role in the WikiProject Accessibility.
Im am in the process of making an efficient and coordinated project out of the rough draft WikiProject Accessibility. Wikipedia:WikiProject Accessibility/Navigation menu will give you an idea of what I have in mind. The "Coordination" part will contain the necessary structure and information for you (and users like WFC, Xeno, JD554, Gnevin, etc.) to get involved. In particular, the task force page will be the place where we will need lots of hands. But this is not for today.
Right now, what would really help me is help from translators. If you know of users that would agree to begin the translations for Wikipedia:WikiProject Accessibility/FAQ and common pitfalls and Wikipedia:WikiProject Accessibility/What is accessibility? that would really help me. Kind regards, Dodoïste (talk) 23:25, 29 August 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Template:Expand language[edit]

I have followed your suggestion at Template talk:Expand language#Link to talk page. Unfortunately, as I have mentioned there, the change has not been 100% successful (though it is an improvement). I don't know whether you can come up with a better idea? I can't. JamesBWatson (talk) 08:44, 1 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Replied there. It is working fine. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 08:49, 1 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Yes. Thanks for the information you gave there. JamesBWatson (talk) 14:32, 1 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Thank you for that Dodieste. I will read through it later on today and update my essay. -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 | talk2me 13:07, 7 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Accessibility thanks[edit]

Hi. Your table tutorial is exceptionally helpful and well put together. Thank you! I've watchlisted everything, and will try to help out if I can, or at least learn. -- Quiddity (talk) 18:34, 11 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

That's sweet. :-) I'm please to read it. And I'm glad I can be of help to this project. This is only the beginning though. I wish I will be able to convince the WMF to employ an accessibility expert to lead this accessibility project. I'll never manage to write the guidelines, coordinate and make all the reviews alone.
Now about usability, here is something I was dreaming to do for a very long time: Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Usability#Navigation menus. Kind regards, Dodoïste (talk) 02:30, 13 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Salut, comme je n'arrive pas à dormir j'ai feuilleté Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/All : apparemment ce que j'ai fait le 11 aurait dû suffire, il faudrait peut-être en reparler au bistro... JackPotte (talk) 04:22, 17 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Oui mais non : tu as ajouté cette demande de RFC à des archives. Déjà les archives ne sont pas lues, mais elles ne sont pas censées être éditées non plus. :s De plus, et comme je te le disais, le sujet est vaste et une discussion informelle quelque part sera loin de suffire. Il te faut donc une page dédiée au RFC. Avec une explication aussi détaillée que sur la prise de décision francophone. Le RFC sera donc comme une grande discussion, avec différentes prises de position, de laquelle résultera une vue d'ensemble de l'avis de la communauté. Et c'est la vue d'ensemble qui soit fera autorité (en positif ou négatif) soit restera neutre (si il n'y a pas de consensus).
Le mieux c'est que tu fasses une sous-page de brouillon pour commencer à bosser dessus. Je la relirai et t'aiderai au besoin. Et les anglophone qui t'ont proposé ton aide pourront relire le style une fois que la présentation sera achevée. Bien à toi, Dodoïste (talk) 15:00, 17 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

RE: Discog Changes[edit]

Ok Dodieste, I have a plan of action...

Meanwhile I suggest we add underconstruction to the top of WP:DISCOGSTYLE. Then we update discogstyle. It will need a new header message ... something like:

WP:DISCOGSTYLE was updated in September 2010 to reflect the changes in the Manual of Style for Wikipedia. The examples shown here may differ from existing works but are most up to date and correct format for discographies.

If maybe you could work on the page in your sandbox... and in the next few hours/day I will create the new examples with Kelly Rowland discgraphy and convert it to the new format? How does that sound? -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 | talk2me 02:26, 27 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

It sure is. I was planning on doing it but you proved to be faster. Good job.
There is one more requirement these tables need to comply to. See Data tables tutorial#Correct table captions. These tables need a table caption.
Now about the header: it is not necessary to remove the "Peak chart positions" header. Look at the good example at Data tables tutorial#Making relevant row headers. It is a bonus to conform to Data tables tutorial#Avoiding rowspan/colspan, and if other WikiProject members agree we could sure remove this header. But it's not a priority, and I suspect users might hate to remove this header. I would not want to see this update refused because of such a detail.
About the style="font-weight:normal;" of the row headers: why not. But from what I understand, some users already want to have the albums in bold. And some do not. Now that it's becoming a normal row header it might be easier to go for the default bold layout. It makes editing easier when you don't need a lot of complex code to make a table. But this is only my opinion, and has nothing to do with accessibility. Which means if you disagree on that I won't insist. :-)
That's all. :-) Kind regards, Dodoïste (talk) 01:41, 28 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

New issues:
The layout I went for was to keep the default styling for albums but I accept that the use of bold and non-bold formats will confuse people. We could make the singles bold as well but the the problem is that when singles have featured artists it looks messy. See what I mean, by giving it a try in mh example. Alternatively for the singles we could use |scope="row" instead of !scope="row". RexxS informed me that it will have the same effect and is a lesser evil than using style="font-weight:normal;" constantly. I will re-instate the peak chart headers. -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 | talk2me 20:35, 28 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi. Hem, I think it would be better to keep the discussions in one single place. I will move your message to the DISCOGS talk page and reply there. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 20:54, 28 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Okies... could help me respond to this please. -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 | talk2me 22:38, 28 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Sure thing. Sorry, I was busy with a long discussion IRL. Oh my, discussions can run fast on this project sometimes. It was quiet for a long (long) while, and now everyone is all heated up. Interesting. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 22:51, 28 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Just a heads-up; you seem to be more familiar with the accessibility parts of this, and you've seen it in action in frwp for a long time. /ƒETCHCOMMS/ 03:38, 29 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 03:43, 29 September 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Steps ... forward[edit]

Bonjour, Dodoïste. Two items, only mildly related:

  1. You just deleted the parts of the Wikipedia:WikiProject Usability/Readability guidelines I understood. We talked last week at WT:WikiProject Usability#Readability issues and small text size about revising your draft. I'm sorry I haven't made time for it yet, although I meant to, but now the parts where I had a chance of doing things is gone. I don't understand your deletion, or what you intend with the page. What is your audience? If the French were translated into English, would you consider the page be complete?
  2. The action at WP:DISCOGSTYLE is stalled, and I hate it. I want to move forward, and when we do, I don't want to have to face a bunch of irate editors reverting every conversion three times per article. Since nobody's coming to our mountain, I'm going to bring the mountain— well, what I have in mind is going door to door inviting a visit from every music-active editor I come across. That should provoke at least some commentary; if it's favorable, I'll start converting articles one by one, with edit summaries linking to the "Are we ready" discussion, eventually picking up speed when things are going smoothly. If commentary comes in as negative, we can try to address whatever concerns are raised, then go on as above.

Regards, — JohnFromPinckney (talk) 14:26, 4 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

  1. Well, I removed parts that were not needed: context from our discussion at I've translated the most important parts. Oh my, now I understand: I did remove most of the page accidentally earlier, thanks for reporting. Fixed. :-)
  2. Yup, I hate it too when it's stalled. Hmm, since several users are reluctant to use the new text size, we can set some priorities. The top priority is to have ! scope="col" | added to the column headers. And it's the simplest thing to do: it's only a little bit of code, and it doesn't change the layout. Adding ! scope="row" | changes the layout, so it's harder to apply.
    Actually, adding ! scope="col" | to the column headers is enough to solve the biggest accessibility issue. The rest are important too, but considering the reactions we might want to prioritize. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 01:08, 5 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks for the input on #2. I'm still not concerned we have too many negative reactions. What bugs me is that I can't drum up more positive reactions. I placed a first handful of invitations around, and only one user dropped by, and opposed on what may turn out to be (1) standard behavior of his browsers unrelated to the proposed changes and (2) dissatisfaction with some other users' layout choice (not spelled out in the style page). No, it's too early to back off from the good little list of steps we've talked about. But it's good to know where our fallback positions could be. (Sheesh, I sound like I'm on a military mission.) — JohnFromPinckney (talk) 02:44, 5 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
"Buy war bonds... for accessibility!" :D
Hopefully we'll get more accurate comments later on. This is also a common issue with such changes: end users tend to associate the new changes with other bugs they have, and don't realize they aren't related. And sometimes it's really difficult to deal with such cases. Dodoïste (talk) 15:21, 5 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

We appear to have a new accessibility issue. A good editing friend of mind has said that sometimes if text is formatted larger tahn 85% in discogs it causes issues. See that latter comments here. You're input in the accessibility area of this would be useful. -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 | talk2me 22:23, 4 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks for reporting. This is not an accessibility issue however, that's a bug for tech developers. We'll try to solve it regardless, but it might be tricky. Dodoïste (talk) 00:58, 5 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]


See this. Many thanks are due to you for your efforts. --RexxS (talk) 13:10, 12 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks. :-) I'm glad this is finally done. Thanks for your input there, and you replies to Edokter. I feel I would have lost my temper if I had to reply to him once again. XD
Well, so now the real thing can begin. We can focus on the DISCOG project, and several highly used templates like Template:Infobox artist discography. The utmost priority is be Template:Infobox/row: hell this template is included in 674,521 pages. I can't begin to imagine the amount of work we can do in one edit. O.o Yours, Dodoïste (talk) 20:28, 12 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Something new for your "bad examples of tables" list. Don't look if you just ate. — JohnFromPinckney (talk) 07:02, 17 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks for the warning, that was useful! :p I've just added this example, thanks. If you have other examples, please tell me about it. We will contact the corresponding contributors and wikiprojects to fix them, once most of the work is done at WP:DISCOG. That means we will work on it in a few months, probably. Slowly but surely. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 21:40, 17 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]


I didn't realise this accessibility stuff would be so difficult. Please can you get involved at the discussion page of FL (here) where I have attempted to explain the issues facing wikipedia and tried to engage some community action to support WP:ACCESS. But its not really working as planned and it looks like its going to be bulldozed. -- Lil_℧niquℇ №1 | talk2me 22:17, 19 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks for notifying me. :-) I'll do my best. Dodoïste (talk) 23:24, 19 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Hi. Could you explain what was the problem you just fixed at Wikipedia:WikiProject Accessibility? I don't see any difference between the two versions.

Except that you just introduced a layout table, which is a bad practice on the web. Web designers and web developers who care about quality have been actively fighting against layout tables for almost a decade now. This layout table also slightly worsen accessibility, although it's not detrimental. So I'd really like to get an explanation. ;-) Kind regards, Dodoïste (talk) 20:28, 31 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

I was fixing the bunched-up edit links. See Wikipedia:How to fix bunched-up edit links. It's a standardized practice on Wikipedia. I an against using layout tables as well, but tables are the easiest way to fix the bunched-up edit links. MC10 (TCGBL) 20:33, 31 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks for explaining. :-) I couldn't notice the bug because I prevented it. I have a script that changes the location of the edit link, and place it right next to the header. Just like the default behavior at fr.wikipedia and de.wikipedia. Not only does it prevent this bug, it is also more usable and provide a better user experience.
Anyway, this is rather a software issue. The usability team also suggested to move the edit link next to the headers. But Brion Vibber is too scared to break a few scripts, see bugzilla:11555 and bugzilla:11270. So this issue may well linger on forever.
A local script at MediaWiki:common.js would solve the issue, just like for fr: and de:.
I strongly disagree that "tables are the easiest way to fix the bunched-up edit links". How many edits must be made, when one single edit at MediaWiki:common.js would suffice?
For these reasons, and for the fact that this change has an impact on accessibility (albeit a small one) at the accessibility project, I will revert your change. Kind regards, Dodoïste (talk) 23:10, 31 October 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Featured lists[edit]

In case it escaped your attention: WT:WikiProject Accessibility#Featured list candidate and accessibility. Cheers --RexxS (talk) 13:53, 4 November 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks, I just saw the message at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Accessibility. Thanks for you quick and comprehensive reply. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 14:02, 4 November 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Re: Skip links[edit]

Hi Dodoïste, the skip links were only intended for use by browsers and other products that did not support CSS. I actually complained about them when they were introduced in October 2005; see this thread at the technical village pump (my username at the time was Pianoman87). As I later found out, the version of JAWS that I used at the time, JAWS 5.1, did not fully support CSS. However, contrary to the above message, A user of JAWS 7.0 reported to me by email that he encountered the skip links, and he thanked me for asking the developers to add an option to disable them. IIRC JAWS versions above 7.1 have full support for Wikipedia's CSS system, so they never show the skip links. I personally found them to be a nuisance and I never used them. Graham87 00:44, 8 November 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

A favour[edit]

If you have time, would you do a favour for me, please? I have two versions of a table at User:RexxS/List of symptoms of diving disorders, and I'd appreciate it if you could see what faults you can identify in each one. I've made space at User talk:RexxS/List of symptoms of diving disorders to collect comments. Thanks in advance if you're able to help me. Cheers --RexxS (talk) 00:00, 10 November 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Busy busy at work these days, I'll comment this week-end. Yours, Dodoïste (talk) 23:12, 10 November 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

The article Multiple disabilities has been proposed for deletion because of the following concern:

Appears to be only a dictionary definition.

While all contributions to Wikipedia are appreciated, content or articles may be deleted for any of several reasons.

You may prevent the proposed deletion by removing the {{proposed deletion/dated}} notice, but please explain why in your edit summary or on the article's talk page.

Please consider improving the article to address the issues raised. Removing {{proposed deletion/dated}} will stop the proposed deletion process, but other deletion processes exist. The speedy deletion process can result in deletion without discussion, and articles for deletion allows discussion to reach consensus for deletion. Tryptofish (talk) 22:17, 9 December 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks for the notification, I replied at the talk page. Dodoïste (talk) 12:58, 10 December 2010 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Help archiving links with Wikiwix[edit]

I did not realize you had an account here at en:wikipedia. I left you a message at fr:Discussion utilisateur:Dodoïste#Help with bad links. We are trying to fix the problem of links going dead. We saw that you and fr:Utilisateur:Pmartin have been using Wikiwix for about 2 years on fr:wikipedia (fr:Wikipédia:Prise de décision/Système de cache). Could you help us here, please? We are discussing this at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject External links/ archiving method. Thanks very much. - Hydroxonium (H3O+) 17:18, 7 February 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Sure. My english is good enough to be able to participate in the discussion, and I am fairly active at as you can see. I'll reply soon. Cheers, Dodoïste (talk) 18:02, 7 February 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thank you[edit]

The Rosetta Barnstar
In grateful appreciation for translating between fr.wikipedia and en.wikipedia, I hereby award the Rosetta Barnstar to Dodoïste. Thank you very much for all your help. I appreciate it a great deal. - Hydroxonium (talk} 21:21, 7 February 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks. - Hydroxonium (H3O+) 21:21, 7 February 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Yay, my first barnstar at en.wikipedia. I guess it shows I have improved my English. You people understand me now, so I can be of help. At last! :-) I'm glad to be able to help. Cheers, Dodoïste (talk) 22:04, 7 February 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]
You are great at English. I wish I could speak French. I just wanted to say thanks again.
I also wanted to let you know we estimate about 17,500,000 external links on en.wikipedia with about 3,700 added each day. I hope that's OK with Pmartin. Thanks. - Hydroxonium (H3O+) 22:48, 7 February 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I've just get the confirmation from Pmartin, it's OK. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 18:00, 8 February 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thank you - Hydroxonium (H3O+) 19:11, 8 February 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Collapsible headers for infoboxes[edit]

Hi, Dodoïste. I wasn't able to follow the outcome of Template_talk:Infobox/Archive_5#Collapsible_headers due to busy schedules. Was any thing done to add this feature (or was it already available)? If not, why? Kind regards. Rehman 06:01, 5 March 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi. Well, the scripts are already made, I could show it to you. But the blocking thing is that it might not be easy to have it added to MediaWiki:Common.js - the necessary step to deploy the script on articles. And I don't have enough time at the moment to strive for it.
Anyway, here are the scripts : User:Dodoïste/navmenu.js and User:Dodoïste/navmenu.css. Add it to your vector.js and vector.css subpage, and go to Wikipedia:WikiProject Accessibility/Navigation menu to see a demo. It's used in a different context here (navigation menu), but it will behave just the same in infoboxes. Cheers, Dodoïste (talk) 13:44, 5 March 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay. I wouldn't mind striving for it (have some time to spare). Just want to know, who/where do I contact to propose this change? Kind regards. Rehman 00:57, 16 March 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

WikiProject Accessibility[edit]

Thanks for the recognition. I don't really have time to do stuff specifically related to WP Accessibility, but I tend to improve the accessibility of articles as I work with them. I mainly use Wikipedia to unwind by working on the articles about states of the Holy Roman Empire.

I don't really work in front-end Web work any more (though I used to). These days, I run a tech team at an ad agency, working in a different discipline (C# development). But I'll keep looking for ways in which I can improve things :o) — OwenBlacker (Talk) 21:52, 13 March 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Linkrot discussion[edit]

I drafted a new RfC. Please take a look and comment; the specific suggestion for implementing a test may not be the best, feel free to improve on it. SJ+ 20:58, 22 March 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Talk:American Idol (season 10)[edit]

In Talk:American Idol (season 10)#Tables and accessibility, you seemed uncertain about where I got my example of:

  • the difference between hearing "2, Result, Wild Card" and "Jovany Barreto, Result, Wild Card"

Perhaps you didn't realise that JAWS allows vertical as well as sequential navigation? Have a read of Tables with JAWS and MAGic and you'll see that each cell can have its row and column header announced. My example was that of reading a single cell in the fourth column of the third row from the table at American Idol (season 10)#Males. If anyone using Jaws wanted to read down the column headed Result, that's what they would hear for each cell by default (as I understand it): "[Row header], [Column header], [Cell contents]" - which makes a number a much poorer choice of row header than the name. I hope that helps, but I can see it's sorted now anyway.

Merci mille fois pour tes mots gentiles à WT:Manual of Style (accessibility)#CSS version 2, mon ami! À bientôt, --RexxS (talk) 17:43, 1 April 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

OK, thanks for the clarification. For the rest of the issue on this topic, I suggest we continue the discussion at: Number in the first column of a data table controversy.
Hey, that is some good French you are writing here, well done! :-) Well, you're doing a much needed job that I did not had time to do, so I really appreciate it. And you're doing it better than I would have, which is not surprising because you're a professional. :-) I hope we can implement your proposal in common.css soon! Cheers, Dodoïste (talk) 22:00, 1 April 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Use of colors[edit]

Hello there. Please see this suggestion of mine about a subpage of WikiProject Usability. Thanks! -- Hoary (talk) 07:42, 1 May 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]


I noticed on Wikipedia talk:WikiProject External links/Webcitebot2 you seemed to be speaking for Pmartin, who seemed to be speaking for Wikiwix/Linterweb.

I've been developing a bot which archives URLs in the IA (through 2 ways), WebCite, and an optional arbitrary shell command (I use wget). Wikiwix is the only other archive service I know of, and I'd like to use it. But browsing through the discussions, I don't see any information or links to how one would archive a URL in Wikiwix - only discussions of how to display a Wikiwix archive page on Wikipedia.

Do you know how, or could you ask Pmartin how/where the documentation is? (I know only a little French.) --Gwern (contribs) 18:21 24 June 2011 (GMT)


You're most welcome. Looked like an important thing to cover. — SMcCandlish Talk⇒ ʕ(Õلō Contribs. 15:19, 25 June 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Documentation heading levels[edit]

May I - again - draw your attention to Template talk:Documentation#Heading fix redux. I can't believe this is still dragging on..! Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 12:55, 21 November 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Thanks for the notification. I've done my best to clear up that giant misunderstanding. I hope I did not made a mistake, nor forgot a critical point. Cheers, Dodoïste (talk) 23:46, 21 November 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Salut mon ami!

If you've seen the Signpost article "Horizontal lists have got class", you'll know that the .hlist class is now stable and being rolled out across the English wikipedia. However, a comment from Erwin at MediaWiki talk:Common.css#nocontent class reminded me that there would be problems of portability between wikis if we remove in-line styling in favour of Common.css. It would be best if such styles were to be incorporated into Core, but that may not be a quick process.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to encourage some inter-project collaboration by suggesting .hlist to other large wikis, and I thought of you as someone who could make that link into the French Wikipedia. I see you've been very busy recently, but there's no deadline :) - it's a task to work on, if you're interested, in whatever time you can find. Regards, --RexxS (talk) 14:53, 26 November 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hello. It's not that I don't have that much time, it's rather that I don't feel that passionate about contributing to Wikipedia anymore. I have the feeling it is kind of cold - although I did have pleasant relations with several editors. I have a need to get back to real life, meet people, get some affection, and such. I also desire to get more creative, where Wikipedia is rather about standardization (which is a good thing... for Wikipedia). Well, in short, I'm rather in a need for a change. But I do like to come back to Wikipedia sometimes.
Back to the point. There has been several efforts going in that direction at the French Wikipedia - since about a year ago. We have a widely used template (fr:Modèle:Liste éléments) made with the purpose to change it to a proper flatlist one day. Basically, we only need consensus to make a single edit to this template. Since the English Wikipedia just did it, we should be able to achieve consensus easily. I'll work on it. Dodoïste (talk) 19:36, 26 November 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I left a message to the creator of the template (who is quite the tech guy too), pointing him the relevant code and suggesting we make that change. Dodoïste (talk) 13:37, 28 November 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Not much progress has been made until now. But there have been some renewed activity at our accessibility project, so I left a message there. Let's hope. Dodoïste (talk) 02:16, 7 December 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Help Project newsletter : Issue 1[edit]

The Help Project Newsletter
Issue I - May 2012
Project news
  • the wub has been appointed as a Wikimedia Community Fellow to lead a data-driven improvement of the English Wikipedia's help documentation, and will be working closely with the Help Project. You can read more about his plans at Wikipedia:Help Project/Community fellowship or in this Signpost article, and he has just released a first report on progress so far.
  • The project's pages have had a major redesign, introducing tabs in order to make them more usable. If you haven't stopped by recently then check them out!
  • A table of statistics is now available for all pages in Category:WikiProject Help Project, this includes page views, word counts and a variety of readability scores. This should be helpful in prioritising improvement work and finding redundant pages.
  • {{Breadcrumb2}} is a new template for making attractive navigational breadcrumbs. This may be useful for linking help pages.
  • This newsletter was started :-)
From the editor

Hi, and welcome to the first issue of the Help Project newsletter! This is a new monthly initiative to keep project members and the wider community informed about our work to improve Wikipedia's help pages. Any comments or suggestions for future issues are welcome at Wikipedia:Help Project/Newsletter.

I've initially sent this to all existing members of the project, if you don't wish to receive the newsletter on your talk page in future then just edit the participants page and add "no newsletter" next to your name. Conversely if you've just stumbled on this newsletter (perhaps through talk page stalking) and want to receive it in future then please feel free to sign up!

the wub "?!" 16:11, 23 May 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

  • Help:Diff needs to be updated for the new diff styles.

Re: Copyediting[edit]

Hey Dodoïste, no worries! I've always been around here; I just haven't been doing much accessibility-related work lately. I'm doing very well ... see my Facebook page! I trust that things are going well for you also. Graham87 06:22, 2 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Yes, the meeting about Wikipedia and the Paralympics that I recently went to was fantastic! It was great to meet everybody in person for the first time! I remember you telling me that you were planning to study . occupational therapy. I'm glad you're heading in the right direction to get there. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck finding an online job. Graham87 11:45, 2 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Table example[edit]

Hi there Dodoïste. I've been thinking a bit about the table that you proposed at Talk:List of Hot 100 number-one singles of the 2000s (U.S.). I quite like it, and it works well, but I've been wondering whether there might be a stronger way to indicate where one year ends and another begins. Would having a single, empty cell that spans all seven columns meet the MOS:DTT requirements? It'd look something like this:

Hot 100 number-one singles of the 2000s (U.S.)
# Reached number one Artist(s) Single Record label Weeks at
number one
851 January 15, 2000 Christina Aguilera "What a Girl Wants" RCA 2 [ref]
852 January 29, 2000 Savage Garden "I Knew I Loved You" Columbia 4 [ref]
853 February 19, 2000 Mariah Carey & Joe & 98 Degrees "Thank God I Found You" Columbia 1 [ref]
868 February 3, 2001 Shaggy & Ricardo 'Rikrok' Ducent "It Wasn't Me" MCA 2 [ref]
869 February 17, 2001 Outkast "Ms Jackson" Arista 1 [ref]
870 February 24, 2001 Joe & Mystikal "Stutter" Jive 4 [ref]
882 February 23, 2002 Ja Rule & Ashanti "Always on Time" 2 [ref]
883 March 9, 2002 Jennifer Lopez & Ja Rule "Ain't It Funny" 6 [ref]
884 April 20, 2002 Ashanti "Foolish" 10 [ref]

My reasoning is that, since the cell would be empty, there would be nothing for a screen reader to read, but I'm not entirely sure. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks very much. A Thousand Doors (talk | contribs) 13:04, 12 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi. Sorry for not responding earlier.
I can't approve it since this proposal is less accessible than the one I suggested. But if you really need something like this in order to improve the bad table with headers in the middle, it's fine as it is a significant improvement.
But something is been bugging me. How come a thin blank line is a clear indication for a change in years for normal users? How come a "2009" followed by a "2010", shown in a wide cell on the left, would not be understandable? Aren't we trying to find solutions to nonexistent problems? If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Yours, Dodoïste (talk) 18:28, 25 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi there, don't worry about it. I guess my only issue with displaying the years in wide cells on the left is that, because they are centre-aligned vertically, they can sometimes not be displayed on tables with many rows. For example, the transition between 2000 and 2001 on List of number-one albums from the 2000s (UK) is dislayed on my computer like this. Here, where 2000 ends and 2001 begins is indicated by a very thin, single-pixel line in between where it says "638" and "re". To me, this seems like something that a reader could quite easily miss. My thinking was that a larger blank row would be a clearer indication of a change in years. A Thousand Doors (talk | contribs)
Now that you mention it... There is a need for a better solution. :-) In long tables, table headers are very often out of the screen, and that's a common problem. The best solution I can find is to not merge all rows. For example, the first year rows could be repeated.

Hot 100 number-one singles of the 2000s (U.S.)
Year # Reached number one Artist(s) Single Record label Weeks at
number one
2000 851 January 15, 2000 Christina Aguilera "What a Girl Wants" RCA 2 [ref]
2000 852 January 29, 2000 Savage Garden "I Knew I Loved You" Columbia 4 [ref]
853 February 19, 2000 Mariah Carey & Joe & 98 Degrees "Thank God I Found You" Columbia 1 [ref]
2001 868 February 3, 2001 Shaggy & Ricardo 'Rikrok' Ducent "It Wasn't Me" MCA 2 [ref]
2001 869 February 17, 2001 Outkast "Ms Jackson" Arista 1 [ref]
870 February 24, 2001 Joe & Mystikal "Stutter" Jive 4 [ref]
2002 882 February 23, 2002 Ja Rule & Ashanti "Always on Time" 2 [ref]
883 March 9, 2002 Jennifer Lopez & Ja Rule "Ain't It Funny" 6 [ref]
884 April 20, 2002 Ashanti "Foolish" 10 [ref]

It looks messy in my small table, but I'm sure it will be fine in a large table. The second solution is to display the row "2002" at the top of the line. Yours, Dodoïste (talk) 21:07, 25 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Green-on-black skin[edit]

Firstly, thank you for fixing the problem with signatures. Now they all default to purple, which makes them easy to read. Also, many tables/templates now use a black background, which is great.

However Template:Cladogram seems to use black lines, which aren't visible. Are you able to fix this? Thanks. Axl ¤ [Talk] 12:10, 20 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Replied at your talk page. Dodoïste (talk) 21:10, 20 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi, Dodoïste. Could you take a look at this page please? Most of the page has a white background. With the bright green text, this is particularly unpleasant to look at. Thanks. Axl ¤ [Talk] 23:02, 24 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Done. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 15:59, 25 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hmm, the appearance hasn't changed for me. It isn't the cache. I have left it a couple of days, with my computer switched off for some of the time. Axl ¤ [Talk] 11:11, 26 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi again, Dodoïste. Can you take a look at Wikipedia:Article_feedback please? Both the colours and the formatting are messed up. Thanks. Axl ¤ [Talk] 23:33, 17 July 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Done. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 00:44, 19 July 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hello, Dodoïste. You have new messages at A Thousand Doors's talk page.
Message added 23:42, 25 June 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.Reply[reply]

Another one please, Dodoïste. This page uses white backgrounds for the closed discussions. Thanks. Axl ¤ [Talk] 11:12, 3 August 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Help Project newsletter : Issue 2[edit]

The Help Project Newsletter
Issue II - June 2012
Project news
  • Progress on the help redesign fellowship continues apace. In-person usability testing is due to start next week, watch this space for results!
  • A large survey about help pages was conducted. Responses are still coming in, but preliminary results are available.
  • A new gadget has been proposed to make it easier for new- and non-editors to leave feedback about help pages. Please test it and leave your thoughts.
  • In somewhat-related-project-news: the Teahouse has wrapped up its pilot phase with an extensive report. Planning and discussion is underway for phase 2.
  • A discussion is taking place about the purpose and future of the venerable Community portal.
From the editor

Hello from the Help Project, and welcome to the second issue of our newsletter!

The biggest project I've been working on this month has been a large survey of users to find out what they think of our current help pages. Preliminary results from this are now available, although there are more responses trickling in from the lower edit count groups since a batch of email invitations were recently sent out. Finalised results and further analysis should be posted next week.

Any comments or suggestions for future issues are welcome at Wikipedia:Help Project/Newsletter. If you don't wish to receive this newsletter on your talk page in future then just edit the participants page and add "no newsletter" next to your name.

the wub "?!" 18:40, 29 June 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Re: Wikimania goodness?[edit]

Hi Dodoïste, yes, Wikimania was amazing, and so was the rest of my trip! Some presentations were great (such as the panel about the treatment of newbies and the presentation about motivations for editing Wikipedia) and some were not so great, but it was definitely worth the trip! I received a braille program which was very useful to me, so I knew where each presentation was. I've written my thoughts about the accessibility presentation at the accessibility WikiProject's talk page. Graham87 10:36, 29 July 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Yes, I asked them to make a braille program for me and they did; they made several copies as well. I know of another blind editor who I met there who also received a braille program, Aniruddha Kumar. Yes, I'd love to meet you too in person as well! Next year's Wikimania will be the closest one to Perth in the history of the conference, so I'd love to attend it. I hope you can too! Graham87 00:23, 7 August 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Yes, it was a great feeling! Braille is produced in specialist blindness agencies by Braille embossers which punch the dots into the page. As the Wikipedia article indicates, they are frightfully expensive. However, in Australia at least, blind people can get anything they want embossed for free or for very reasonable prices. I agree, Hong Kong sounds like a fascinating place, with the mix of Eastern and Western culture there. Graham87 02:19, 8 August 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Help Project newsletter : Issue 3[edit]

The Help Project Newsletter
Issue III - August 2012
Project news summary
  • Final results and conclusions from the help pages survey were released.
  • The wub gave a presentation at Wikimania 2012 about help pages, and the slides are now on Commons.
  • A discussion is taking place about the purpose and future of the venerable Community portal.
  • New designs for tutorial pages have been proposed, comment from project members is welcome.
From the editor

Welcome to the (slightly delayed) third issue of the Help Project newsletter.

The past month has once again been a busy one for my fellowship. The full results and conclusions from the extensive user survey on help pages are now available, and make interesting reading. These do confirm a number of our suspicions about Wikipedia help, and suggest that the current plan for the remainder of the fellowship is a sound approach.

Also last month I was fortunate enough to attend Wikimania 2012 in Washington DC, where I gave a presentation about help pages and the aforementioned survey results. You can find the slides from this on Commons. Wikimania was also a great opportunity for many discussions with staff and community members, and these brought up some interesting ideas which I hope to follow up on.

One of the things much discussed was the planned tutorial pages. I've been working on a new design for them which can be seen at User:The wub/sandbox/1, please let me know what you think (especially if you spot any bugs!).

Any comments or suggestions for future issues are welcome at Wikipedia:Help Project/Newsletter. If you don't wish to receive this newsletter on your talk page in future then just edit the participants page and add "no newsletter" next to your name.

the wub "?!" 13:28, 3 August 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

A barnstar for you![edit]

The Barnstar of Diplomacy
For your comments regarding the Hopiakuta incident. Viriditas (talk) 21:13, 3 August 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks. :-) Dodoïste (talk) 09:15, 4 August 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Bangladesh Liberation War[edit]

Hello,I am Frankfurt55.Many many thanks for your helping attitude.In fact;i edited Bangladesh Liberation war which was removed by Mr.Kabir now I have reedited the paragraph in my talk page.Could you please go to my talk page and check if all are ok?And If I can post it to main article? Also advice me the regulation of editing.Because I was blocked by Future Perfect at Sunrise for editing. --Frankfurt55 (talk) 21:30, 10 August 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Replied at your talk page. Dodoïste (talk) 18:34, 11 August 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Help Project newsletter : Issue 4[edit]

The Help Project Newsletter
Issue IV - September 2012
Project news summary

From the editor

Hi, and welcome to the fourth issue of the Help Project newsletter.

It's been another busy month in the world of Wikipedia help. The results from the in-person usability tests conducted as part of the help pages fellowship have been released. There are no great surprises here, the tests confirmed that people have trouble with the existing help system, and people looking for help on the same topic often end up at wildly different pages. Editors who experienced a tutorial and/or edited a sandbox as part of their learning were noticeably more confident when editing a real article.

Drawing on that, three new "Introduction to" tutorials for new users have been created: referencing, uploading images and navigating Wikipedia. These join the popular existing introductions to policies and guidelines and talk pages. Feel free to edit them, but please do remember that the idea is to keep them simple and as free from extraneous details as possible. All three have been added to Help:Getting started, which is intended to be the new focal point for new editors, and will also be seeing a redesign soon.

In other news, the Article Feedback Tool (AFT) can now be used to collect feedback on help pages. By default it has been deployed to all pages in the Help: namespace. It can be disabled on any page by adding Category:Article Feedback Blacklist, or enabled for pages in other namespaces by adding Category:Article Feedback 5 Additional Articles. Once a page has AFT applied, you can add feedback using the form which appears at the bottom of it. Feedback can be reviewed by clicking "View feedback" in the sidebar, or the "Feedback from my watched pages" link at the top of your watchlist.

I'm now entering the final month of my fellowship, and will be focusing my efforts on making much needed improvements to Help:Contents, the main entrance point to our help system. It's been a pleasure working as a fellow, and I just want to thank all the people who have helped me or offered advice over the past months. That definitely won't be the end of my involvement in the Help Project though, I'll be sticking around as a volunteer and continuing to write this newsletter.

Any comments or suggestions for future issues are welcome at Wikipedia:Help Project/Newsletter. If you don't wish to receive this newsletter on your talk page in future then just edit the participants page and add "no newsletter" next to your name.

-- the wub "?!" 20:00, 7 September 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

WP:ACCESS question[edit]

Hi Dodieste, How are you? Long time no see. You might remember me from a whole host of issues we had with trying to implent accessibility over at discographies. I wondered if I could ask your advice/get your help. We have a commonly used {{track list}} which i actually despise for its column and formatting. One of my major gripes is the font size particularly on the "note field". I'd like to get this changed to the approved 85%. whats the best way of going about it? also whats your general opinion on how accessible the template is. — Lil_niquℇ 1 [talk] 00:01, 10 September 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi Lil-unique! It's nice to hear from you. Of course I remember you. I'm doing real fine thank you. Starting next week I'm going to study occupational therapy, yay! :-) How about you?
As for the track list, it's not that bad from an accessibility point of view. Anomie added a few scope="col" on RexxS's request in march 2012. Collapsible table have a inherent accessibility issue that currently can hardly be fixed, so we can't do much more. The structure is okay.
Now yes, some font sizes are small. There is no official requirement in WCAG 2.0 techniques that specify a minimum size for text. It's rather about the comfort of reading. I suggest to discuss this topic, and see if a consensus can be reached easily. There is not much more we can't do, since we don't have any guideline about text size we can't push this case.
Thanks for asking! Dodoïste (talk) 08:26, 10 September 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks for the advice. Ah right, I'll open a discussion. I'd like to see the font size increased ever so slightly so I'll open a discussion at the template's talk page. — Lil_niquℇ 1 [talk] 16:57, 10 September 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Re: About the link to "add to your watchlist"[edit]

Hi Dodoïste, I believe that message box was introduced about five or six years ago. I never had any problem with it then, but now it seems to disappear faster than it used to, perhaps too fast ... is it just my imagination? Graham87 08:07, 11 September 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Thanks for the notification. I've redirected the template to {{Abbr}} since it's pretty much the same template; if you don't think this is a good idea, feel free to revert. -- 李博杰  | Talk contribs email 03:13, 23 September 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Colors and accessibility guidelines[edit]

Please see my reply at Template talk:Storm colour#Alternative proposals. Kaldari (talk) 23:57, 11 November 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Green on black[edit]

Hi, Dodoïste. I use the green-on-black view. Can you take a look at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Military history please? Most of the text there is obscured. Thanks. Axl ¤ [Talk] 12:31, 26 November 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Help Project newsletter : Issue 5[edit]

The Help Project Newsletter
Issue V - January 2013
Project news summary
From the editor

Hello again from the Help Project!

In the last newsletter (which was quite a while ago sorry!) I talked about my fellowship and the plans for improving the main portal page, Help:Contents. Well I'm sad to say that my fellowship is now over, but very happy to say that the proposed improvements to that page have been completed and implemented. Do check it out if you haven't already.

Another important and frequently used help page, Wikipedia:Contact us, has also seen a significant revamp. You may recognise the design inspiration from the new tutorial pages.

In project news, we now have a subscription to the "article alerts" service. Any deletion nominations, move discussions, or requests for comments on pages within the Help Project's scope will now show up at Wikipedia:Help Project/Article alerts. So that's definitely a page which project members might want to watch.

Any comments or suggestions for future issues are welcome at Wikipedia:Help Project/Newsletter. If you don't wish to receive this newsletter on your talk page in future then just edit the participants page and add "no newsletter" next to your name.

-- the wub "?!" 23:34, 13 January 2013 (UTC)Reply[reply]


Hello, Dodoïste. You have new messages at Koavf's talk page.
Message added 06:10, 24 February 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.Reply[reply]

Justin (koavf)TCM 06:10, 24 February 2013 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Help Project newsletter : Issue 6[edit]

The Help Project Newsletter

Issue VI - April 2013

Open Help Conference

The Open Help Conference will be taking place June 15-19 in Cincinnati Ohio, USA. The conference includes two days of presentations and open discussions, followed by team "sprints" - collaborative efforts to write and improve documentation.

It has been suggested to send a team from Wikipedia/Wikimedia: to share our own knowledge about help, learn from others in the open source community working on similar problems, and to carry out a sprint to improve some aspect of Wikipedia's help.

There may be support available for volunteers to attend from the Participation Support program (and your editor is certainly hoping to be there!) Please join the discussion in Meta's IdeaLab if you're interested, and/or have suggestions about what we could work on.

Other news

If you don't wish to receive this newsletter on your talk page in future then just edit the participants page and add "no newsletter" next to your name.

Suggestions for future issues are welcome at Wikipedia:Help Project/Newsletter.

the wub "?!" 16:22, 25 April 2013 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Help Project newsletter : Issue 7[edit]

The Help Project Newsletter
Issue VII - August 2013

Hello from Hong Kong, and the Wikimania DevCamp! Just a quick bulletin to update everyone on recent goings-on:

Suggestions for future issues are welcome at Wikipedia:Help Project/Newsletter.

If you don't wish to receive this newsletter on your talk page in future then just edit the participants page and add "no newsletter" next to your name.

-- EdwardsBot (talk) 06:17, 7 August 2013 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Feedback request on screen magnifiers[edit]

Hi, I hope you're well. It has been awhile! :)

I'm trying to learn about how exactly editors use the Wikimedia sites, with accessibility tools like screen magnifiers. I recall you as being knowledgeable about screen magnifiers, hence this personal request. Please see the short list of questions at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Accessibility#Visual impairment - what settings, software, or other tools are used to compensate, and if you know of anyone else, help me get the word out to other editors who might be able to give comments on this? Much thanks! –Quiddity (talk) 02:23, 17 September 2013 (UTC)Reply[reply]

WP Accessibility in the Signpost[edit]

The WikiProject Report would like to focus on WikiProject Accessibility for a Signpost article. This is an excellent opportunity to draw attention to your efforts and attract new members to the project. Would you be willing to participate in an interview? If so, here are the questions for the interview. Just add your response below each question and feel free to skip any questions that you don't feel comfortable answering. Multiple editors will have an opportunity to respond to the interview questions, so be sure to sign your answers. If you know anyone else who would like to participate in the interview, please share this with them. Have a great day. –Mabeenot (talk) 02:12, 18 October 2013 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Storm Colour[edit]

Can you please advise on if the colours in "Template:Storm colour" were ok, as the were presented before this edit? Id rather not see such a significant change to the colours if we don't have too. Thanks.Jason Rees (talk) 11:15, 1 August 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hi ! I saw your message only a few days ago, I'm not very active on Wikipedia at the moment. It was complicated to follow all the discussions, but I think I managed to understand most of it... I do not feel it is necessary for me to participate in the debate because it's going in the right direction (from a technical point of view at least).
What I wrote in 2012 was still valid. We have to either remove the links that had "storm colours" as background color, or either change some colours (2 or 3 of them, I don't remember but I can check anytime if you want). Of course, removing the links is way easier.
It's still not perfect, because of the maps and some colours that are difficult to distinguish between themselves. I'd say our aim is to "improve" accessibility, not perfection. It's actually extremely hard to create perfectly accessible maps with 5 different colours. Cheers, Dodoïste (talk) 19:08, 18 August 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks for the fair and constructive response.Jason Rees (talk) 20:48, 18 August 2014 (UTC)Reply[reply]

You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:49, 24 November 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Format changed[edit]

Hello, Dodoïste.

We have conversed in the past regarding my view setting, which is green-on-black. Recently, this setting has stopped working properly. The Wikipedia globe logo is shifted across to the right, and its link (to the main page) overlies the Talk page tab, so I cannot easily go to an article's talk page. (I had to directly edit the url to reach this page.)

Also, wikilinks now appear dark blue, which makes them difficult to see on the black background. (Previously, wikilinks were bright purple.) Because of these changes, I have stopped editing Wikipedia.

These problems occur both on my home PC (Windows 10, Chrome), at work and in my local library (Internet Explorer). I have not changed any of my own settings. Thanks for your help. Axl ¤ [Talk] 11:56, 14 October 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]

ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open![edit]

Hello, Dodoïste. Voting in the 2016 Arbitration Committee elections is open from Monday, 00:00, 21 November through Sunday, 23:59, 4 December to all unblocked users who have registered an account before Wednesday, 00:00, 28 October 2016 and have made at least 150 mainspace edits before Sunday, 00:00, 1 November 2016.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2016 election, please review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:08, 21 November 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply]