I like languages and people me. I like all kinds of them; Slavic-rooted ones, Turkic-rooted ones, Latin-based, Albanian, hell, I even like English. I like them especially when and if they live and are spoken in my country. I know there are some Slavic-speakers in Greece: a couple of hundreds of thousands. I know that most of them speak a form closer to the modern Macedonian language (the Slavic one); the rest speak a form closer to Bulgarian. Regardless, I know that their extreme majority identifies as Greek on the national level; the rest few call themselves Macedonians, and Bulgarians, Pomaks, even Turks. Helsinki estimates the ones that identify as Macedonians are 10 to 30 thousand; the Greek sources say zero.
Nevertheless, I'd like this language to flourish in Greece. I'd like it spoken, I'd like it taught, I'd like its speakers proud of their origin, I'd like it expand south to Crete. I do respect the self identification of these people, and I also respect how they call their language, and for those across the border, their country. Some Greeks can be the strongest supporters for the speakers and for the language, and they can be the best medium for them. Don't ever think that this means I would ever allow preposterous nationalistic claims escalate; from whichever side those may be.
I also respect the Greeks of the north who call their dialect Macedonian, their province Macedonia, and themselves Macedonians. I can even disambiguate those and call them Macedonian Greeks, despite the fact that some of them may consider this an offensive pleonasm. I'm no fool, I know there are many more Macedonians around, and I respect the fact that they identify as such.
So, I'm asking: Why does nobody else wish to disambiguate? Am I such a jerk or should it not be that hard?
|Mess with ME?|
|Don't even think about it... |
Γηράσκω αεί Διδασκόμενος
"Girasko Aei Didaskomenos"
"I Always Learn as I Age"
Visit my store to see how many cool signatures I have given as a gift!
Who knows... maybe I'll be in the mood to create one for you too...
Aegean Sea (probably all of it)
Ionian Sea (that too)
i.e. probably all 14,880Km or ~8,000Nm of the Greek coast.
This journey is the most fascinating experience I've ever had.
I strongly suggest it. Missing it is almost a sin.
I've also been to:
Check Edit count for NikoSilver.
I have particularily contributed to the following articles:
N: New Article or Major Contribution - R:Large Scale Rewrite - : Featured article
The following are some of my favorite quotes here in wikipedia.
I think that your point gets across better if you have a good sense of humor!
- To an unfriendly racial slur. (check the userpage)
- Etymology or Etoimology? (the latter in Greek means "quick response")
- Edit Summary (1) German decimals...
- Edit Summary (2) Inheritors vs Offsprings...
- Edit Summary (3) Wow! What a crowd!...
- Check the lettercase! of Rainbow Party vs Rainbow party (now a dab page, still funny)...
- Who's reasonable?... ...which lead to this. self sarcasm #1
- Edit Summary (4), plus Trolling... self-sarcasm #2
- I see dead people... which lead to lipogram which lead to Univocalic
- One of my favorite vandalisms... by someone else, ofcourse.
- Edit Summary (5) (The editor claims to be a MacSlav-Canadian)
- The Creeper self-sarcasm #3
- New diseases Genocide can be devastating for your health!
- Grouper vandal revert
- On Duja's adminship
- On my block-virginity and on Fran's sewing of block-virginity
- On Fut.Perf.'s proposal for admin nomination!
- POV-pusher self-sarcasm #4
- Edit Summary (6) Barbarians everywhere! Even inside the Epsilon Team!!
- When you oppose an early FAC, at least do it with style.
- LUV should be practiced, not written.
- Who said the ArbCom is not the right place?
- On Alison's picture
- Eating cats???
- Edit Summary (7): Body hair in the wrong places...
- W.E.S.U.C.K.B.A.D. which led to the perfect dab
- A bunch of Koo-koo edit-summaries for my user-page and talk-page can be found in the special sub-page:
Former User Curiously Koo-kooed And Self-identifies Supermodel.
- Also check my notorious sockpuppet: User:Hellenic Republic
Awards (thank you):
The Random Acts of Kindness Barnstar
I award NikoSilver this Barnstar for his awesome work at providing everyone who asks with an awesome signature - this kind of dedication and friendliness is unsurpassed. Killfest2 11:05, 13 July 2006 (UTC)
|The Random Acts of Kindness Barnstar|
|I award you this Barnstar, for creating me such a great (and professional) signature Ryan Postlethwaite 18:00, 16 April 2007 (UTC)|
... a Macedonian grouper?
|The Barnstar of|
|For your help with WP:GREECE, your great often Aristophanic humor, your interest in Greece-related articles, your FA contributions concerning Macedonia, your courage to firmly stand by your beliefs, and your exciting Nationality quiz I award you with pleasure this barnstar of national pride, waiting again for to see you back more active, vivid, and humorous.--Yannismarou 10:31, 6 April 2007 (UTC)|
- ^ This message tries to apply WP:UNDUE to the prevailing terminology of Wikipedia, by substituting the names of the terms with those that really matter (and should really matter).
- ^ Only morons could take this too seriously