Ulisses Correia e Silva
Ulisses Correia e Silva
|Prime Minister of Cape Verde|
|Assumed office |
22 April 2016
|President||Jorge Carlos Fonseca|
José Maria Neves
|Preceded by||José Maria Neves|
José Ulisses de Pina Correia
4 June 1962
Praia, Cape Verde
|Political party||Movement for Democracy|
|Alma mater||Technical University of Lisbon|
José Ulisses de Pina Correia e Silva (Portuguese pronunciation: [ʒuˈzɛ uˈlisɨʒ dɨ ˈpinɐ kuˈʁejɐ i ˈsilvɐ]) (born 4 June 1962) is a Cape Verdean businessman and politician who has been Prime Minister of Cape Verde since 22 April 2016.
Early life and education
Silva served in the government of Cape Verde as Secretary of State for Finance from 1995 to 1998 and Minister of Finance from 1999 to 2001. Between 2006 and 2008, Silva was Vice-President of the Movement for Democracy (MpD) political party. In 2008, he was elected as the Mayor of Praia, and he was reelected as Mayor in 2013. Silva also became the President of the MpD in 2013.
In June 2016, Silva and Finance Minister Olavo Correia met with representatives from the International Monetary Fund to discuss Cape Verde's economy. A few months later, in September 2016, Silva and members of his government met with the IMF to discuss the 2016 Article IV consultation.
Silva was reappointed to the leadership of the Movement for Democracy (MpD), with 99 percent of the votes cast, in February 2020. Thus, he is the candidate of the MpD to the 2021 legislatures, running for his own succession.
- "Chefe do Executivo cabo-verdiano promete respostas rápidas mas alerta que não há soluções milagrosas" [Cape Verde Chief Executive promises quick answers but warns that there are no miracle cures]. conexaolusofona.org (in Portuguese). Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "Ulisses 2016". ulisses2016.com. Archived from the original on 7 October 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Ulisses Correia e Silva é eleito Primeiro-Ministro de Cabo Verde". Conexão Lusófona. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Antigos Ministros - Ministério das Finanças
- "Ulisses Correia e Silva is Next Prime Minister of Cape Verde". Latin American Herald Tribune. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "News Analysis: Cape Verde witnesses peaceful handover following elections". news.xinhuanet.com. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Ulisses Correia e Silva - MPD" (in Portuguese). RTC. 7 May 2016. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Press Release: IMF Staff Concludes Visit to Cabo Verde". imf.org. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "IMF Staff Completes 2016 Article IV Mission to Cabo Verde". imf.org. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- Lusa, Agência. "Ulisses Correia e Silva anuncia que é recandidato a primeiro-ministro em Cabo Verde". Observador (in European Portuguese). Retrieved 2020-06-18.
- "Ulisses Correia e Silva reeleito líder do partido no poder em Cabo Verde". VOA (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2020-06-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ulisses Correia e Silva.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to Ulisses Correia e Silva.|