|LYNX light rail station|
|Location||9025 Cameron Boulevard|
Charlotte, North Carolina
|Owned by||Charlotte Area Transit System|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Bicycle facilities||Bicycle racks|
|Opened||March 16, 2018|
UNC Charlotte–Main is a light rail station on the LYNX Blue Line in Charlotte, North Carolina, United States. It opened on March 16, 2018, as part of the Blue Line extension to the UNC Charlotte campus, and serves as the line's northern terminus. The station features a single island platform and is located on the north side of Cameron Boulevard, adjacent to the university's main campus in University City.
The university entered into a partnership with the city government in 2005 to bring light rail to the campus. Construction on the station began in late 2014, and the foundation was completed by the end of 2015. The first test trains arrived at the station in June 2017.
The Blue Line extension opened on March 16, 2018, and the inaugural train departed from UNC Charlotte–Main station at 10 a.m. A ribbon cutting ceremony was conducted at the station a month earlier to celebrate the university's involvement in the light rail project.
UNC Charlotte–Main station features public art from Mikyoung Kim, a Boston-based urban designer commissioned by CATS. Her firm designed a "dynamic" sculpture placed in the station's main plaza, consisting of two long, deformed benches that provide seating. The plaza faces the UNC Charlotte Student Union building and includes a crosswalk on Cameron Boulevard.
- Harrison, Steve; Henderson, Bruce (March 16, 2018). "After a decade of planning, Charlotte's light-rail extension finally opens". Charlotte Observer. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- "UNC Charlotte - Main Station". CATS. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- "Lynx Blue Line Extension - Sheet 6" (PDF). CATS. September 27, 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 31, 2016. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- "Ribbon cutting celebrates the coming of light rail" (Press release). University of North Carolina at Charlotte. February 26, 2018. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- Theriault Muhl, Shelly (October 1, 2014). "Light rail extension preparations begin on campus". University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- Sullivan, Karen (January 16, 2016). "Charlotte light rail extension's stations taking shape". Charlotte Observer. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- "'Light Rail Connects Us' – first train arrives on campus" (Press release). University of North Carolina at Charlotte. June 19, 2017. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- Fahey, Ashley (February 26, 2018). "Countdown is on as officials cut ribbon ahead of light-rail extension opening". Charlotte Business Journal. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- Cote, Grace (February 14, 2015). "Blue Line artist Mikyoung Kim to speak at Mint Museum Uptown". Charlotte Observer. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- Delia, Sarah (April 16, 2015). "Artist To Discuss Design For UNC Charlotte Main Station". WFAE. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- "Art in Transit: BLE UNC Charlotte Station". CATS. Retrieved March 18, 2018.