|Type||Privately held company|
|Industry||research and development in biotechnology|
|Founded||Marseille, France (1999 )|
|Fate||Acquired by Hoffmann-La Roche|
Trophos was a biopharmaceutical company specialising in the discovery and development of novel therapeutics to treat both orphan neurodegenerative diseases and more prevalent disorders.
Trophos was founded in 1999 in Marseille by three scientists: Christopher Henderson, Olivier Pourquie and Jean-Louis Kraus, and two entrepreneurs: Antoine Beret and Michel Delaage. Trophos' lead compound was olesoxime (TRO19622), a mitochondrial targeted compound developed to treat neurodegenerative diseases.
In January 2015, Hoffmann-La Roche announced its intention to buy Trophos for €120,000,000 upfront and up to €350,000,000 in milestone performance payments. The deal was completed shortly afterwards.
- Bordet, T.; Buisson, B.; Michaud, M.; Drouot, C.; Galea, P.; Delaage, P.; Akentieva, N. P.; Evers, A. S.; Covey, D. F.; Ostuni, M. A.; Lacapere, J.-J.; Massaad, C.; Schumacher, M.; Steidl, E.-M.; Maux, D.; Delaage, M.; Henderson, C. E.; Pruss, R. M. (2007). "Identification and Characterization of Cholest-4-en-3-one, Oxime (TRO19622), a Novel Drug Candidate for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis". Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 322 (2): 709–720. doi:10.1124/jpet.107.123000. PMID 17496168. S2CID 17271734.
- "olesoxime". UKMi New Drugs Online Database. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- "Effect of TRO19622 in the Treatment of Patients With Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neuropathy". ClinicalTrials.gov. 5 February 2010. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "Safety and Efficacy of TRO19622 as add-on Therapy to Riluzole Versus Placebo in Treatment of Patients Suffering From Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)". ClinicalTrials.gov. May 2010. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- Franklin, Joshua (16 January 2015). "Roche buys France's Trophos to expand in neuromuscular disease". Reuters. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- Staff (15 February 2015). "Roche to Buy Trophos for Up-to-$543M". Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (paper). Vol. 35, no. 4. p. 6.
- Rovini, Amandine; Carré, Manon; Bordet, Thierry; Pruss, Rebecca M.; Braguer, Diane (2010). "Olesoxime prevents microtubule-targeting drug neurotoxicity: Selective preservation of EB comets in differentiated neuronal cells". Biochemical Pharmacology. 80 (6): 884–894. doi:10.1016/j.bcp.2010.04.018. PMID 20417191.
- Xiao, Wen Hua; Zheng, Felix Y.; Bennett, Gary J.; Bordet, Thierry; Pruss, Rebecca M. (2009). "Olesoxime (cholest-4-en-3-one, oxime): Analgesic and neuroprotective effects in a rat model of painful peripheral neuropathy produced by the chemotherapeutic agent, paclitaxel". Pain. 147 (1–3): 202–9. doi:10.1016/j.pain.2009.09.006. PMC 2787910. PMID 19833436.
- Bordet, T.; Buisson, B.; Michaud, M.; Abitbol, J.-L.; Marchand, F.; Grist, J.; Andriambeloson, E.; Malcangio, M.; Pruss, R. M. (2008). "Specific Antinociceptive Activity of Cholest-4-en-3-one, Oxime (TRO19622) in Experimental Models of Painful Diabetic and Chemotherapy-Induced Neuropathy". Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 326 (2): 623–632. doi:10.1124/jpet.108.139410. PMID 18492948. S2CID 33726393.