The Shadow (video game)
|Platform(s)||Atari Jaguar CD|
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
|Genre(s)||Beat 'em up|
The gameplay is similar to other Beat 'em up games such as Final Fight or Double Dragon, where the player controls The Shadow through several levels (including streets, museums, carnivals and laboratories) fighting against several enemies, such as hoodlums, Mongol Warriors, scientists, security guards and sailors. The player has two bars; one is the life bar and a bar that allows the player to perform special attacks (invisibility, speed running, a dome shield that knocks out everyone who hits it). The regular beat 'em up levels also include a section for gun play, where the player is able to shoot enemies. It also contains a driving stage where The Shadow battles Mongols on motorbikes (Maritech Labs).
The game roughly follows the plot of the movie, where The Shadow battles crime in New York city, until he is confronted by the evil mastermind Shiwan Khan. Khan intends to use an atomic bomb to blow up the city, culminating in a showdown at the hidden Hotel Monolith.
A version of the game was also being developed and planned to be published by Ocean Software for the Atari Jaguar CD as one of the first games announced for the then-upcoming add-on, however, development on the port was scrapped in favor of creating a conversion of Lobo, an unreleased fighting game based on the DC Comics character of the same name that was also in development by Ocean. A Sega Genesis port was also planned but never released as well.
|EGM||(SNES) 26 / 50|
|Game Players||(SNES) 62%|
|GamePro||(SNES) 14 / 20|
|HobbyConsolas||(SNES) 67 / 100|
|Next Generation||(SNES) |
|Nintendo Power||(SNES) 12.6 / 20|
- "Short ProShots - Super NES - The Shadow (Ocean)". GamePro. No. 61. IDG. August 1994. p. 149. Archived from the original on 2019-01-05. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- "Games News: Future Screens - The Shadow (Ocean)". Games World. No. 2. Paragon Publishing. August 1994. p. 40.
- "Fact-Files - Super NES - The Shadow". Electronic Gaming Monthly. No. 65. Sendai Publishing. December 1994. pp. 282–285. Archived from the original on 2019-01-05. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- "Pak Watch: Super NES - The Shadow (Ocean)". Nintendo Power. No. 67. Nintendo of America. December 1994. p. 111.
- "Games Watch: SNES - The Shadow". Games World. No. 5. Paragon Publishing. November 1994. pp. 84–85.
- "News: Shadow Play". Ocean Power. No. 2. Bastion Publishing. Spring 1994. p. 6.
- "The Shadow - Super NES". IGN. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- Laraque, J.A. (May 19, 2011). "Unreleased: The Shadow". ObsoleteGamer.com. Archived from the original on 2018-03-10. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- Ripper, The (April 1994). "Europa!". GameFan. Vol. 2, no. 5. DieHard Gamers Club. p. 136. Archived from the original on 2019-01-05. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- Ripper, The (May 1994). "Europa!". GameFan. Vol. 2, no. 6. DieHard Gamers Club. pp. 132–134. Archived from the original on 2019-01-04. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- "The Game Fan 32Bit System Shoot Out - Who Will Lead Us Into The Next Generation?". GameFan. Vol. 2, no. 7. DieHard Gamers Club. June 1994. pp. 146–147. Archived from the original on 2019-01-13. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- "Warpzone - Jaguar - Angekündigte Jaguar-Spiele". Video Games (in German). No. 32. Future-Verlag. July 1994. p. 32. Archived from the original on 2018-08-04. Retrieved 2019-01-05.
- "News: Timeline - November -- The Shadow (Ocean - SG, SNES)". Game Players. No. 64. Signal Research. October 1994. p. 10.
- "I'll Be There, Around Every Corner In Every Room As Inevitable As Your Guilty Conscience - The Shadow". Computer and Video Games. No. 156. Future Publishing. November 1994. p. 27.
- Brømba (January 1995). "Konsolowy Świat - Wieści ze świata grania". Top Secret (in Polish). No. 34. Bajtek Publishing House. p. 57.
- Semrad, Ed; Carpenter, Danyon; Manuel, Al; Williams, Ken; Weigand, Mike (January 1995). "Review Crew - Major Mike's Game Roundup - The Shadow - Ocean / Super NES". Electronic Gaming Monthly. No. 66. Sendai Publishing. p. 40.
- Salmon, Mike (March 1995). "SNES - Review - The Shadow". Game Players. No. 69. Signal Research. p. 68.
- Bacon (January 1995). "ProReview: Super NES - The Shadow". GamePro. No. 66. IDG. p. 80.
- "Lo Más Nuevo - Nintendo Super Nintendo: The Shadow – La Sombra vuelve a la acción". Hobby Consolas (in Spanish). No. 38. Hobby Press. November 1994. p. 152.
- "...Y además: The Shadow - Una buena adaptación (Super Nintendo)". Micromanía (in Spanish). Vol. 2, no. 78. HobbyPress. November 1994. p. 31.
- "Finals - SNES - The Shadow". Next Generation. No. 3. Imagine Media. March 1995. p. 103. Archived from the original on 2019-01-04. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- "Now Playing - The Shadow -- Super NES". Nintendo Power. No. 72. Nintendo of America. May 1995. p. 106.