The directors of The Curators' Department have curated numerous exhibitions in Sydney and around Australia. In 2016 Barkley curated The Australian Ceramics Association Biennial Exhibition, "OVERUNDERSIDEWAYSDOWN", which took place from May - June at Manly Art Gallery & Museum in Sydney. The previous year, Barkley curated "Turn Turn Turn: The Studio Ceramics Tradition at the National Art School" which was held at the National Art School Gallery, Sydney, from June to August 2015 and examined the history of ceramics practice at the school.
In 2015, Muñiz Reed, Williams and Barkley curated the National Visual Arts Showcase, "Right Here Now: A Powerful Regional Voice in Our Democracy" at the Museum of Democracy at Old Parliament House.  Earlier that year the trio also curated the inaugural Installation Contemporary at the second iteration of the Sydney Contemporary Art Fair at Carriageworks in Sydney.
In 2015 Barkely and Muñiz Reed also curated the exhibitions "Here I Give Thanks: John R. Walker" at the Drill Hall Gallery, Canberra, and "The Daylight Moon: Rosalie Gascoigne and Lake George" at Goulburn Regional Art Gallery.
Currently The Curators' Department are working with Kent Buchanan of Western Plains Cultural Centre, Dubbo and Orana Arts, on the artists residency and exhibition project At the Junction of Two Rivers: The Wellington Exchange Project. The project includes artists from the Wellington and Sydney areas, began with a residency in early 2016 and will culminate in an exhibition in October that same year.
Writing and Publications
As part of his work with The Curators' Department Barkely guest edited Issue #27 of Runway Australian Experimental Art Journal. The issue was themed "Outside" and was launched at the Cementa arts festival in Kandos, NSW. He was also the guest editor of the Journal of Australian Ceramics Volume 55 Number 1.
The Curators' Department worked with the University of Wollongong and ADM Architects to re-develop the University's Recreation and Aquatic Centre. The new space focuses on the history of the University of Wollongong, incorporating historical material and new media.
Barkley is a registered valuer for the Australian Government’s Cultural Gifts Program, specialising in Australian and NZ art, art archives, documentation, ephemera, textiles, ceramics, glassware, fibre items, new media, time-based and digital art; Indigenous prints, drawing, textiles, paintings and sculptures, ceramics, glassware, fibre items, new media, digital and time-based art after 1970 and European and American printmaking and artist-books after 1950.
- Fairley, Gina (13 March 2015). "The Curators' Department - old or new model?". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "NewsLocal digital edition". newslocal.newspaperdirect.com. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "The Wayback Machine has not archived that URL". Retrieved 2023-05-07.[dead link]
- "Subscribe to The Australian - Newspaper home delivery, website, iPad, iPhone & Android apps". www.theaustralian.com.au. Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- "Turn, turn, turn – The Art Life". theartlife.com.au. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Fairley, Gina (24 June 2015). "Turn Turn Turn: The studio ceramics tradition". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "ARTAND | News | Review / Commentary | TURN, TURN, TURN". www.artandaustralia.com. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Shapeshifters: the changing face of ceramic art". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Turn Turn Turn The Studio Ceramics Tradition at the National Art School". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- McDonald, John (2016-01-12). "Review: Right Here Now, Museum of Australian Democracy, Canberra". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Grishin, Sasha (2015-11-26). "Art review: Right here now at Museum of Australian Democracy". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Work of young Indigenous artists showcased in MoAD exhibition". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 2015-12-08. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Sneak Peek: Installation Contemporary at Sydney Contemporary 2015 | Artinfo". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Grishin, Sasha (2015-07-08). "Here I Give Thanks by John R. Walker pays homage to Boyd". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Haynes, Peter (12 July 2015). "Artist Rosalie Gascoigne is articulate and subtle in Goulburn exhibition". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Rosalie Gascoigne Glows at Goulburn – Rose Niland Review". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Haynes, Peter (2015-12-24). "Peter Haynes' top five Canberra art exhibitions for 2015". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Fairley, Gina (9 April 2015). "New ceramicists don't care to be cool". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Fairley, Gina. "Art Month brings critical dialogue back". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- Barkley, Michelle (2016-06-20). "Artistic journey of discovery". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "#27 Outside - Runway". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "What's On". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "The Journal of Australian Ceramics Vol 55 No 1". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- McIlwain, Kate (2016-07-07). "Uni celebrates sports history". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Sports centre facelift a boon for whole community". media.uow.edu.au. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Sporting excellence celebrated in new Hall of Fame". media.uow.edu.au. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- NSW, Museums & Galleries. "Museums & Galleries NSW". Museums & Galleries NSW. Retrieved 2016-09-22.