The school opened in 1850 as Tank School (Den Tankske Skole), funded by an endowment established by merchant Hans Tank and his wife around fifty years earlier. The school closed in 2014 after it was merged with Bergen Handelsgymnasium and Bjørgvin upper secondary school into the new Amalie Skram upper secondary school.
- Edvard Hagerup Grieg, composer
- Harald Hove, politician
- Peter Rosenkrantz Johnsen, journalist and author
- Dagfinn Lyngbø, comedian
- Arnulf Øverland, poet
- Skreien, Norvall. "Hans Tank". In Helle, Knut (ed.). Norsk biografisk leksikon (in Norwegian). Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Historien vår". Tanks videregående skole. Archived from the original on 2 April 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Legger ned BHG". Bergensavisen. 11 December 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2021.