|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the 4chan article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|Find sources: Google (books · news · scholar · free images · WP refs) · FENS · JSTOR · NYT · TWL|
|Archives: Index, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18Auto-archiving period: 60 days|
|The contentious topics procedure applies to this page. This page is related to gender-related disputes or controversies or people associated with them, which has been designated as a contentious topic.|
Editors who repeatedly or seriously fail to adhere to the purpose of Wikipedia, any expected standards of behaviour, or any normal editorial process may be blocked or restricted by an administrator. Editors are advised to familiarise themselves with the contentious topics procedures before editing this page.
|4chan is a former featured article. Please see the links under Article milestones below for its original nomination page (for older articles, check the nomination archive) and why it was removed.|
|This article appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page as Today's featured article on January 14, 2009.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|The subject of this article is controversial and content may be in dispute. When updating the article, be bold, but not reckless. Feel free to try to improve the article, but don't take it personally if your changes are reversed; instead, come here to the talk page to discuss them. Content must be written from a neutral point of view. Include citations when adding content and consider tagging or removing unsourced information.|
|This is not a forum for general discussion of 4chan. |
Any such messages will be deleted. Please limit discussion to improvement of this article.
All additions to the article require reliable sources for verification. Even the additions you want to make. Wikipedia does not accept original research; if you believe something to be true, you must be able to prove it.
|Discussions on this page often lead to previous arguments being restated. Please read recent comments and look in the archives before commenting.|
|The following references may be useful when improving this article in the future:|
Featured Article in need of review
As part of the ongoing project WP:URFA/2020, that aims to identify and draw attention to older Featured Articles that may not meet the current Featured Article criteria, I'm leaving this brief review of the article.
This is an older Featured Article that has not been reviewed since its promotion in 2008.
- The article fails criteria 1. c) of the Wikipedia:Featured article criteria, since it isn't "a thorough and representative survey of the relevant literature". From a quick scan of Google Scholar, I can spot several well-cited academic works that are not being used here.
- There's an over reliance on sources closely related to the subject.
- The article feels dated, as the bulk of the sources are dated before 2012 - were there any changes to the way the website operates or its features?
- There are several short subsections that either need to be expanded or merged into broader subsections/topics, for instance in the "ISP bans" section.
- The History section is not in chronological order, since it reverts back to 2008-2010 in the Poole subsection.
- There's some trivia going around, with the "Internet attacks" subsection looking like a list of every time the website makes the news.
- What is the purpose of the "Other media attention" subsection? That information can be easily merged into other sections.
In short, I'd say that this article needs to present a broader view of the website, by incorporating the relevant literature that is available, instead of being a blow-by-blow account of every single time the website hits the news. RetiredDuke (talk) 15:44, 18 December 2021 (UTC)
Semi-protected edit request on 13 February 2022
|This edit request has been answered. Set the |
The new Alexa ranking for 4chan is #1,354 different from #1,042 2603:7000:6044:6100:2531:5E5A:AE1:AB42 (talk) 15:49, 13 February 2022 (UTC)
- Done Alexa Internet is due to end its service in May this year, so I'm not sure what will happen to all of the rankings after that.--♦IanMacM♦ (talk to me) 16:53, 13 February 2022 (UTC)
Abundance of Triva
Broadly speaking, there's an abundance of trivia. To agree with RD, I elect that some sub-sections need to be merged or deleted. From my perspective, these sections (which do not document that which is foundational to the website's history or perception) are /sci/, the entirety of other media appearances Cyberbullying Murder in Port Orchard, Washington and Bianca Devins murder. Writing to gather consensus on merging and/or deleting. DMT Biscuit (talk) 00:36, 9 April 2022 (UTC)
- Having edited the section down, I nominate /mu to this section. DMT Biscuit (talk) 01:37, 9 April 2022 (UTC)
- This feels uncomfortably like "let's purge the page of anything that suggests 4chan is more than neo-Nazis". --Eldomtom2 (talk) 21:41, 8 June 2022 (UTC)
"Registration: None available (except for staff)"
Shouldn't this be changed? 4chan passes would seem to count as registration. --Eldomtom2 (talk) 21:42, 8 June 2022 (UTC)
- According to the site's FAQ, "No user registration process is available. If you're worried about somebody impersonating you, consider using a tripcode to help validate your identity." A 4chan pass "allows users to bypass typing a CAPTCHA verification when posting and reporting posts on the 4chan image and discussion boards. Passes cost $20 per year, which is about $1.67 per month." This isn't quite the same as user registration, so I think that the wording in the article is correct. The tripcode can act as a sort of unofficial user account, but it is not possible to have a conventional username/password account on the site.--♦IanMacM♦ (talk to me) 07:31, 9 June 2022 (UTC)
Burger King incident
I'm not sure why this hasn't been added, but back in 2012 a Burger King employee posted a picture of himself standing in lettuce on the site and had gotten fired as a result. Whether this fits better on this page or Burger King I'm not sure about though I'm leaning closer to here as it has a section on media attention already.
There's also three sources.
126.96.36.199 (talk) 05:09, 22 July 2022 (UTC)
A Commons file used on this page or its Wikidata item has been nominated for deletion
The following Wikimedia Commons file used on this page or its Wikidata item has been nominated for deletion:
Participate in the deletion discussion at the nomination page. —Community Tech bot (talk) 15:53, 15 March 2023 (UTC)
- Wikipedia former featured articles
- Featured articles that have appeared on the main page
- Featured articles that have appeared on the main page once
- Old requests for peer review
- Wikipedia level-5 vital articles in Society
- Wikipedia B-Class vital articles in Society
- Wikipedia B-Class level-5 vital articles
- B-Class Websites articles
- B-Class Websites articles of Mid-importance
- Mid-importance Websites articles
- B-Class Computing articles
- Low-importance Computing articles
- All Computing articles
- All Websites articles
- B-Class Internet culture articles
- Top-importance Internet culture articles
- WikiProject Internet culture articles
- Wikipedia controversial topics