Supreme Appellate Court Gilgit-Baltistan
|Supreme Appellate Court Gilgit-Baltistan|
|Authorized by||Gilgit-Baltistan (Empowerment and Self Governance Order) 2009|
|Appeals from||Gilgit-Baltistan Chief Court|
|Currently||Arshad Hussain Shah|
|Since||8 May 2019|
The Supreme Appellate Court Gilgit-Baltistan is the highest court of appeal in the region of Gilgit Baltistan, Pakistan. It consists of a Chief Justice and two other Judges. The Court was established in 2009 under Gilgit-Baltistan (Empowerment and Self Governance Order) 2009 and has the similar jurisdiction equal to the Supreme Court of Pakistan. The Permanent Seat of the Court is at Gilgit, but the Court also sits from time to time at Skardu Branch Registry.
Under Gilgit-Baltistan Empowerment and Self-Governance Order 2009 Gilgit-Baltistan Supreme Appellate Court was established with a Chief Justice and two other Judges. The chief judge and judges are appointed for a period of three years by the prime minister of Pakistan.
Chief Judge of Supreme Appellate Court Gilgit Baltistan Hon'ble Mr. Justice Syed Arshad Hussain Shah administered him the oath at a ceremony in Supreme Appellate Court Gilgit-Baltistan held on 8 May 2019.
Justice Javed Iqbal (March 2016 - to date)
Former Chief Justice
- Justice Qazi Ehsanullah Qureshi (2005-2008)
- Justice Muhammad Nawaz Abbasi (2009-2012)
- Justice Rana Muhammad Arshad (2012-2015)
- Justice Rana Muhammad Shamim (2015-2018)
- Justice Altaf Hussain (2005-2008)
- Justice Syed Tahir Ali Shah (2005-2008)
- Justice Syed Jaffar Shah (2009-2012)
- Justice Muhammad Yaqoob Khan (2009-2012)
- Justice Raja Jalal-ud-Din (2013-2016)
- Justice Muzaffar Ali (2013-2016)
- Justice Shehbaz Khan (15-3-16 to 20-9-2016)
- Gilgit-Baltistan Chief Court
- Supreme Court of Pakistan
- Gilgit-Baltistan Legislative Assembly
- Gilgit-Baltistan Council
- "Autonomy order for Gilgit, Baltistan signed". DAWN.COM. September 8, 2009.
- Correspondent, A. (May 6, 2019). "Induction of chief judge into GB supreme appellate court opposed". DAWN.COM.
- "Fresh appointment: Gilgit-Baltistan judicial crisis ends". The Express Tribune. February 4, 2012.
- "Arshad Hussain Shah takes oath as Chief Judge of GB Supreme Appellate Court". Dunya News. 8 May 2019. Retrieved 21 January 2022.
- OUTPOST. "Outpost - Connecting the disconnected". outpost.pk. Retrieved 2017-04-16.
- "PAMIR TIMES | Voices of the Mountain Communities – Indian claim over Gilgit-Baltistan baseless and contrary to historical facts, Shehbaz Khan Advocate Vice Chairman GB Bar Council". Retrieved 2017-04-16.
- "PAMIR TIMES | Voices of the Mountain Communities – Life Imprisonment: Supreme Appellate Court upholds ATC verdict against Baba Jan and companions". Retrieved 2017-04-16.
- "Court in G-B upholds Baba Jan's life term - The Express Tribune". The Express Tribune. 2016-06-09. Retrieved 2017-04-16.