St. Jerome the Priest (Meštrović)
|St. Jerome the Priest|
|Dimensions||2.4 m × 0.91 m (8 ft × 3 ft)|
|Location||Washington, D.C., United States|
|38°54′48.6″N 77°3′8.15″W / 38.913500°N 77.0522639°W|
St. Jerome the Priest is a bronze statue, by Ivan Meštrović, located at 2343 Massachusetts Avenue, Northwest, Washington, D.C.
Ivan Meštrović donated this work to the Croatian Franciscan Fathers, who commissioned it as Saint Jerome. Jerome was born on the territory of modern Croatia. This Meštrović statue was originally located at the Franciscan Fathers' Abbey on 1359 Monroe Street, N.E., Washington, D.C., and was later moved to the front of the Croatian Embassy on Embassy Row.
The inscription reads:
(On front of base:)
ST. JEROME THE PRIEST
GREATEST DOCTOR OF THE CHURCH
- ^ "St. Jerome the Priest, (sculpture)". SIRIS. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- Media related to St. Jerome the Priest in Washington DC at Wikimedia Commons
- 1954 establishments in Washington, D.C.
- 1954 sculptures
- Bronze sculptures in Washington, D.C.
- Croatian-American history
- Croatian art
- Embassy Row
- Monuments and memorials in Washington, D.C.
- Outdoor sculptures in Washington, D.C.
- Sculptures by Ivan Meštrović
- Sculptures of men in Washington, D.C.
- Statues in Washington, D.C.