Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/September 8
September 8: Independence Day in the Republic of Macedonia (1991); Victory Day in Malta; National Day in Andorra; International Literacy Day.
- 1331 - Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (pictured) of the House of Nemanjić was crowned King of Serbia.
- 1504 - David, a marble sculpture by Michelangelo, was unveiled in Florence.
- 1888 - The inaugural season of The Football League in England began.
- 1900 - The Great Galveston Hurricane, one of the deadliest Atlantic hurricanes, struck Galveston, Texas, killing at least 6,000 people.
- 1978 - Hundreds of demonstrators in Tehran were killed on Black Friday in the Iranian Revolution.
Recent days: September 7 – September 6 – September 5