Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/September 22
September 22: Autumnal equinox in the Northern Hemisphere; Independence Day in Mali (1960); Car Free Day in Europe & Canada.
- 1862 - The Emancipation Proclamation was issued by the Lincoln administration.
- 1869 - Richard Wagner's opera Das Rheingold debuted in Munich.
- 1961 - Peace Corps was founded. Within two years, over 7,300 Peace Corps volunteers were serving in 44 countries.
- 1980 - Iraq launched an invasion of Iran, starting the Iran-Iraq War.
- 1989 - Famed American composer Irving Berlin died in his sleep at age 101.
Recent days: September 21 – September 20 – September 19