|Coordinates||39°57′57″N 82°59′44.4″W / 39.96583°N 82.995667°WCoordinates: 39°57′57″N 82°59′44.4″W / 39.96583°N 82.995667°W|
Slammers Bar & Pizza Kitchen is a lesbian bar in Columbus, Ohio. Opened in 1993, it is Ohio's oldest gay bar and is still run by its original owner Marcia Riley. As of 2021[update], it is one of approximately twenty remaining in the country and the only one in Ohio. It was supported by the Lesbian Bar Project to help it survive the COVID-19 pandemic.
As has been the case with lesbian bars across the country, Slammers has needed to evolve to adapt to the changing LGBTQ+ nightlife scene. While it began as a women's bar, early on it drew a business lunch crowd.
- ^ Thompson, Erica (10 May 2017). "Behind Bars: Nikki Simonin at Slammers". Columbus Alive. Retrieved 26 June 2021.
- ^ a b Thompson, Erica (12 April 2021). "Slammers, one of 15 lesbian bars left in U.S., weathers pandemic, cultural shifts in Columbus". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 26 June 2021.
- ^ Bailey, Brittany (11 June 2021). "Slammers standing strong as one of few lesbian bars left in the country". 10tv.com. Retrieved 26 June 2021.
- ^ Thompson, Erica (12 June 2019). "Pride: Last lesbian bar standing". Columbus Alive. Retrieved 26 June 2021.
- ^ Mattson, Greggor (January 2019). "Are Gay Bars Closing? Using Business Listings to Infer Rates of Gay Bar Closure in the United States, 1977–2019". Socius: Sociological Research for a Dynamic World. 5: 237802311989483. doi:10.1177/2378023119894832.
- ^ "21 lesbian bars remain in America. Owners share why they must be protected". PBS NewsHour. 2021-06-10. Retrieved 26 June 2021.
Slammers Bar & Pizza Kitchen webpage