|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to letterboxed 480i for the SDTV feed)
|Launched||January 31, 2000|
|Former names||Séries+ (2000-2020)|
On May 11, 1999, Alliance Atlantis Communications (AAC) and Premier Choix Networks (a division of Astral Media) were granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a French-language subscription network called Canal Fiction, described as a "service devoted to drama."
On March 4, 2013, Corus Entertainment announced that it would acquire Astral Media's stakes in Séries+ and Historia, as well as several other properties, under separate transactions with the two companies. The purchase was tied to Bell Media's pending takeover of Astral Media; an earlier proposal had been rejected by the CRTC in October 2012 due to concerns surrounding its total market share following the merger, but was restructured under the condition that the companies divest certain media properties. In a separate deal, Corus also acquired Shaw's interests in Séries+ and Historia, giving it full ownership. The deals were approved by the CRTC on 20 December 2013 and Corus officially become the full owner of the channel on 1 January 2014.
On October 17, 2017, Bell Media announced its intent to acquire Séries+ and Historia from Corus for $200 million, pending regulatory approval. Corus cited the two channels as not being part of the company's "strategic priorities" at this time; the deal came shortly after an announcement that Corus no longer planned to commission original programs for the two channels. On 28 May 2018, both transactions were blocked by the Competition Bureau, as it violated a condition of the Astral Media purchase which bars Bell from re-acquiring any of the properties it divested for 10 years. As a result, Bell and Corus mutually agreed to shelve the sale.
On January 6, 2020, the channel underwent a rebranding, which also began to stylize its name as "SériesPlus".
- Decision CRTC 99-109
- LES CHAINES TELE ASTRAL AND ALLIANCE ATLANTIS PRESENT A NEW FRENCH LANGUAGE SPECIALTY CHANNEL Alliance Atlantis press release 2000-01-19
- La haute définition en français Infopresse 2006-10-30 (in French)
- Shaw Communications closes purchase of Canwest TV assets, rebrands as Shaw Media
- CRTC approves Shaw’s purchase of the Canwest Global television properties Archived 2013-12-20 at the Wayback Machine
- "Bell moves closer to Astral with sale of TV assets". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Corus Entertainment (4 March 2013). "Corus Entertainment Expands Interests in French-language Specialty Television Market through Major Deals with Bell and Shaw Media". Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-738". CRTC. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Completes Purchase of Historia, Séries+ and TELETOON Canada Inc". Corusent.com. 1 January 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- Faguy, Steve (17 October 2017). "Corus agrees to sell Séries+ and Historia to Bell Media for $200 million". Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Analysts predict steeper Corus dividend cut after watchdog blocks $200-million sale of TV stations to Bell". Financial Post. 28 May 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Corus and Bell end channel sale after rejection by Commissioner of Competition". Financial Post. 30 May 2018. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Official website (in French)