|Time of day||Midnight|
|Arohana||S R (M)g, M P (n)d n S'|
|Avarohana||S' (n)d n P M P (M)g, M R S|
|Hindustani classical music|
Darbari Kanada, or simply Raga Darbari, (pronounced darbāri kānada), is a raga in Carnatic music.It is a janya ragam (derived scale)of 20th Melakarta raga Natabhairavi. Being a ancient raga, it's original name is unknown. It is believed to be borrowed into Hindustani classical music by Miyan Tansen, the famous 16th-century composer in emperor Akbar's court. It belongs to the Kanada family. This tradition is reflected in the name itself; Darbar is the Persian derived word in Hindi meaning "court." As the most familiar raga in the Kanada family, it may sometimes also be called Shuddha Kanada or pure Kanada. It belongs to the Asavari thaat. This raag is called raaga Kaanada in Yakshagana Karnataka state dance
It is also sometimes written as Durbari and Durbarikanada.
In Hindustani classical music
In Hindustani music, Darbari follows almost its original style of singing from the Carnatic music. It is a grave raga, played deep into the night, considered to be one of the more difficult to master, and with the potential for profound emotional impact. Darbari is a very serious raga and hence, slow and elaborate meend and andolan are generally more preferred than light and frivolous ornamentations like murki or khatka. The improvisation of Darbari is done more in the mandra saptak, or lower octave.
The ascension of arohana is in the lower and middle octaves. In the avarohana the note Ga (gandhar) komal is used in a slow vibrato (andolan) on this note. Similarly, komal Dha is also used by Andolan. The Andolan of komal Ga and komal Dha add to the gravity of the raga. The association of the notes Ni and Pa sounds pleasing. Its Vadi swara is Re and Samavadi is Pa.
arohana: S R (R)g, (R)g M P d n S'
avarohana: S' d n P M P (M)g, (M)g M (S)R, S
For reference, the set of notes in the Asavari thaat is S R g M P d n, and for Darbari, the role of the komal gandhar is crucial, as is dwelling on the lower komal dhaivat for some time.
- Amir Khan, Raagaas Maarwa and Darbaari, Odeon LP (long-playing record), ODEON-MOAE 103, later reissued by HMV as EMI-EALP1253, critically regarded as a benchmark for both Maarwa and Darbaari.
- Pt. D. V. Paluskar, Jhanak Jhanakva More Bitchuwa, Golden Milestones, D. V. Paluskar. This is actually closer to raag Adaana than Darbaari.
- East Atlanta rapper JID, samples the Darbaari raga on his song 151 Rum (song)
In Carnatic music
It is an ubhaya vakra sampurna rāgam derived from the 20th melakarta rāgam Natabhairavi.It is an extremely melodious raga.It can create extreme and unparalleled emotional impact.It is said to evoke feeling of sadness,longing and romance to listeners.Its ārohaṇa-avarohaṇa structure is as follows (see swaras in Carnatic music for details on the notations used):
This scale uses the notes chatusruti rishabham, sadharana gandharam, shuddha madhyamam, shuddha dhaivatham, kaisiki nishadham.
Compositions in Carnatic music
Chandra chuda shiva shankara parvati by Purandara Dasa
Devan ke pati Indra by Swathi Thirunal
Tum aur fareeb khaow by farida khanum
Hari Tum Haro by Mirabai
Darbari Thillana by Lalgudi Jayaraman
|Aalapanam||Ente Sooryaputhrikku||Illayaraja||K.S. Chitra, K.J. Yesudas, P. Susheela|
|Ariyathe Ariyathe||Ravanaprabhu||Suresh Peters||K.S. Chitra, P. Jayachandran|
|Aayiram Padasarangal||Nadi||G. Devarajan||K. J. Yesudas|
|Azhake||Amaram||Raveendran||K.S. Chitra, K.J. Yesudas|
|Dukhame||Pushpanjali||M. K. Arjunan||K. J. Yesudas|
|Ponnil Kulichu Ninnu||Sallapam||Johnson||K.S. Chitra, K.J.Yesudas|
|Sindhoorappoo Manassil||Gamanam||Bichu Thirumala||K.S. Chitra, K.J.Yesudas|
|Shivadam Shivanamam||Mazhavillu||Mohan Sithara||M.G. Sreekumar, K.S. Chithra|
|Thamara Noolinal||Mullavalliyum Thenmavum||Ousepachan||G. Venugopal, Gayatri Asokan|
|Pavana Guna Rama||Bhakta Potana||V. Nagayya||V. Nagayya|
|Sivasankari Sivanandalahari||Jagadeka Veeruni Katha||Pendyala Nageswara Rao||Ghantasala|
|Namo Bhootanatha||Satya Harishchandra (1965 Telugu film)||Pendyala (composer)||Ghantasala (musician) & S. Varalakshmi|
|Aanati Kaavalena gaanaaniki samayamu||Amara Sandesam(1954 film)||K.Prasada Rao & Kelkar|
|Nee Kougililo Taladachi Nee Chetulalo Kanumoosi||Karthika Deepam (film)||Satyam (composer)||P. Susheela|
|Sri Hanuman Gurudev Charanamulu||Hanuman Chalisa in Telugu||M. S. Ramarao||M. S. Ramarao|
- Alternate notations:
- Hindustani: S R G̱ S M P Ḏ Ṉ Ṡ
- Western: C D E♭ C F G A♭ B♭ C
- Alternate notations:
- Hindustani: Ṡ Ḏ Ṉ P M P G̱ R S
- Western: C A♭ B♭ G F G E♭ D C
- Hindustani Sangeetha Paddhati (4 volumes, Marathi) (1909–1932). Vishnu Narayan Bhatkhande. Sangeet Karyalaya (1990 reprint). ISBN 81-85057-35-4.This book, which establishes the Thaat system, has been widely translated.
- Raganidhi by P. Subba Rao, Pub. 1964, The Music Academy of Madras
- Rajan P. Parrikar (11 December 2000). "The Kanada Constellation (Part 1/3)". South Asian Women's Forum. Retrieved 11 April 2007.
- Ragas in Carnatic music by Dr. S. Bhagyalekshmy, Pub. 1990, CBH Publications