|Founded||1999 as Newspaper Direct|
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
|Headquarters||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Services||Digital newspaper & magazine publishing and distribution|
Number of employees
PressReader distributes digital versions of over 7,000 newspapers and magazines in more than 60 languages through its applications for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac and various e-readers as well as its website, and operates digital editions of newspapers and magazines for publishers, including The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Globe and Mail.
Founded in 1999 as NewspaperDirect, the company started as a service for printing physical copies of newspapers, aimed at travelers who wished to read their home newspaper while staying in a hotel abroad, and launched a digital product in 2003.
In 2013, the company rebranded as PressReader.
On 3 March 2022 PressReader's web platform was blocked by a cyber attack and access to 7,000 publications, worldwide, was halted. The attack came just a few days after PressReader removed dozens of Russian newspapers from its catalogue. The company began to restore its services on 6 March.
PressReader's eponymous product is an all-you-can-eat newspaper and magazine subscription service, which costs $29.99 per month and grants access to all of the titles in the company's library via PressReader apps and website. The company partners with various hotels, airlines, cafes and other businesses which sponsor access to the service for their customers.
As of May 2019, PressReader has 12 million monthly active users.
- Taylor, Charlie (November 16, 2017). "PressReader gains ground in Ireland as it officially opens Dublin office". The Irish Times.
- Kennedy, John (December 15, 2017). "PressReader's Alex Gruntsev: 'Make innovation a part of daily life'". Silicon Republic.
- "PressReader puts 7,000 newspapers and magazines in your pocket". NJ.com. Apr 25, 2019.
- Kirby, Mary (June 25, 2018). "Air Canada sees end date in sight for onboard newspapers". Runway Girl Network.
- Bula, Frances (June 25, 2014). "Richmond Company at the Fore of Digital Newspapers". BCBusiness.
- "PressReader Leading the Digital Charge for Newspapers". Good e-Reader. December 8, 2012.
- "Digital newsstand and eBook reader app updates released before the holiday break". Talking New Media. December 18, 2015.
- "PressReader aims to add more personalization to its digital news platform by acquiring News360". TechCrunch. August 20, 2019. Retrieved September 3, 2019.
- "Updates for users". PressReader.com. Retrieved 9 March 2022.
- Brown, Tamsin (5 March 2022). "Cyberattack blocks access to thousands of newspapers". EuroWeekly News.
- "Turkish Airlines offering passengers digital media perks". Daily Sabah. March 8, 2019.
- "Bell partners with PressReader to bring news stories to customers across Canada". Mobile Syrup. May 10, 2017.
- "FIPP's brand partnership with PressReader deepens". FIPP. May 8, 2019.