President of Kiribati
|President of the Republic of Kiribati|
|Term length||Four years, renewable twice|
|Inaugural holder||Ieremia Tabai|
|Formation||12 July 1979|
|Deputy||Vice President of Kiribati|
|Salary||AUD 17,900 annually|
Following a general election, by which citizens elect the members of the House of Assembly, members select from their midst "not less than 3 nor more than 4 candidates" for the presidency. No other person may stand as candidate. The citizens of Kiribati then elect the president from among the proposed candidates with first-past-the-post voting.
List of presidents
|Tenure||Political Affiliation||Vice President|
|Took Office||Left Office|
|12 July 1979||10 December 1982||National Progressive Party||Teatao Teannaki|
|10 December 1982||18 February 1983||Non-partisan|
|18 February 1983||4 July 1991||National Progressive Party||Teatao Teannaki|
|4 July 1991||24 May 1994||National Progressive Party||Taomati Iuta|
|24 May 1994||28 May 1994||Non-partisan|
|28 May 1994||1 October 1994||Non-partisan|
|1 October 1994||28 March 2003||Christian Democratic Party (Maneaban te Mauri) /
Protect the Maneaba (Maneaban te Mauri)
|Tewareka Tentoa (1994–2000)|
Beniamina Tinga (2000–2002)
|28 March 2003||10 July 2003||Non-partisan|
|10 July 2003||11 March 2016||Pillars of Truth (Boutokaan te Koaua)||Teima Onorio|
|11 March 2016||present||Tobwaan Kiribati Party||Kourabi Nenem (2016–2019)|
Teuea Toatu (2019)
The highest rank of the Kiribati Scout Association is the President's Award.
The official results were declared on 23 June 2020 by Chief Justice John Muria at the Ministry of Justice headquarters in South Tarawa. Maamau won the election with 59% of the vote, receiving a majority in 16 of the 23 constituencies, while Berina finished first in seven constituencies.
|Taneti Maamau||Tobwaan Kiribati||26,053||59.32|
|Banuera Berina||Boutokaan Kiribati Moa||17,866||40.68|
|Source: Ministry of Justice|
|Taneti Maamau||Tobwaan Kiribati Party||19,833||59.96|
|Rimeta Beniamina||Pillars of Truth||12,764||38.59|
|Tianeti Ioane||Pillars of Truth||482||1.46|
- "Salaries and Allowances of Members of the Maneaba ni Maungatabu and Salaries Tribunal Act - 2002 Consolidated Edition" (PDF). www.paclii.org.
- Constitution of Kiribati Archived 2009-04-16 at the Wayback Machine, art. 30 (1)
- Constitution of Kiribati], art. 30 (2)
- "Historical Information on Members of the Parliament of Kiribati" Archived 2007-11-01 at the Wayback Machine, Kiribati Parliament website
- Constitution of Kiribati], art. 32
- Association, Pacific Islands News. "Kiribati President Taneti Maamau to be sworn in Wednesday". www.pina.com.fj. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- Pala, Christopher (2020-06-23). "Boost for Beijing: pro-China president wins re-election in Kiribati". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-06-23.