|Assumed office |
10 December 2019
|Minister of Social Development of Santa Cruz|
10 December 2015 – 10 December 2019
|Preceded by||Elsa Capuchinelli|
|Succeeded by||Bárbara Weinzettel|
|Born||19 March 1971|
Río Gallegos, Argentina
|Front for Victory (2003–2017)|
Unidad Ciudadana (2017–2019)
Frente de Todos (2019–present)
Marcela Paola Vessvessian (born 19 March 1971) is an Argentine politician, currently serving as National Deputy elected in Santa Cruz. A member of Kolina, she was elected in 2019 as part of the Frente de Todos. Vessvessian previously served as Minister of Social Development of Santa Cruz during the first governorship of Alicia Kirchner (2015–2019).
Vessvessian was born on 19 March 1971 in Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz into a family of Armenian background. She counts with a licenciatura degree on Social Work.
Vessvessian's political career began under the mentorship of Alicia Kirchner. When Kirchner split from the Justicialist Party and formed Kolina, Vessvessian became part of the new party's national authority. During Kirchner's administration the Ministry of Social Development, Vessvessian served as secretary of childhood, adolescence, and families, and chaired the National Committee for the Coordination of Social Policies. In 2015, following Kirchner's election as governor of Santa Cruz, Vessvessian was appointed as the province's minister of social development.
In the 2019 legislative election, Vessvessian ran for a seat in the National Chamber of Deputies as the second candidate in the Frente de Todos list, behind Pablo Gerardo González. The Frente de Todos list was the most voted in Santa Cruz, with 62.13% of the vote, and both González and Vessvessian were elected. She was sworn in on 4 December 2019.
As a national deputy, Vessvessian formed part of the parliamentary commissions on Petitions, Powers and Norms, Women and Diversity, Sports, Elderly People, Co-operative Affairs and NGOs, and Social Action and Public Health. She was also elected by her peers as president of the bicameral commission to appoint an Ombudsperson for Children. Vessvessian was a supporter of the 2020 Voluntary Interruption of Pregnancy bill, which legalised abortion in Argentina.
- ^ a b "Paola Vessvessian". HCDN (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 18 January 2021. Retrieved 14 December 2021.
- ^ a b c "Paola Vessvessian". Directorio Legislativo (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 14 December 2021.
- ^ "Los candidatos armenios de las PASO". Diario Armenia (in Spanish). 6 August 2019. Retrieved 14 December 2021.
- ^ "Paola Vessvessian en el Congreso: "El primer eje es el presupuesto para Santa Cruz"". La Opinión Austral (in Spanish). 7 November 2019. Retrieved 14 December 2021.
- ^ "Santa Cruz: Alicia Kirchner designó a la esposa de Máximo como ministra de salud". La Nación (in Spanish). 30 December 2015. Retrieved 14 December 2021.
- ^ "Alicia acompañó a González y Vessvessian en la jura de Diputados en el Congreso". La Opinión Austral (in Spanish). 4 December 2019. Retrieved 14 December 2021.
- ^ "La diputada Paola Vessvessian fue electa presidenta de la Bicameral del Defensor de los Niños". Perfil (in Spanish). 20 April 2021. Retrieved 14 December 2021.
- ^ "Legalización del aborto: cómo votó cada diputado y cada bloque". Perfil (in Spanish). 11 December 2020. Retrieved 1 September 2021.
- Living people
- 1971 births
- People from Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz
- Argentine people of Armenian descent
- Argentine social workers
- Members of the Argentine Chamber of Deputies elected in Santa Cruz
- Women members of the Argentine Chamber of Deputies
- Justicialist Party politicians
- Kolina politicians
- 21st-century Argentine politicians
- 21st-century Argentine women politicians