This biography of a living person relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2011)
Thorwald Nicolaus Tideman (/ˈtiːdɪmən/, not /ˈtaɪdmən/; born August 11, 1943 in Chicago, Illinois) is a Georgist economist and professor at Virginia Tech. He received his Bachelor of Arts in economics and mathematics from Reed College in 1965 and his PhD in economics from the University of Chicago in 1969. Tideman was an Assistant Professor of Economics at Harvard University from 1969-1973, during which time from 1970-1971 he was a Senior Staff Economist for the President's Council of Economic Advisors. Since 1973, he has been at Virginia Tech, with various visiting positions at Harvard Kennedy School (1979-1980), University of Buckingham (1985-1986), and the American Institute for Economic Research (1999-2000).
Tideman's academic interests include taxation of land, voting theory, and political philosophy.
In 1987, he devised the voting system called "ranked pairs" (or the "Tideman method" or simply "RP"), which is a type of Condorcet method. It selects a single winner using votes that express a preference ranking. Ranked pairs can also be used to create a sorted list of winners.
In 2000, Tideman developed the CPO-STV proportional voting method. Tideman also devised the independence of clones criterion which both of his methods satisfy. He is an associate of the Earth Rights Institute. His book Collective Decisions and Voting: The Potential for Public Choice was published by Ashgate Publishing in November 2006.
- ^ Tideman, T. N. (1987-09-01). "Independence of clones as a criterion for voting rules". Social Choice and Welfare. 4 (3): 185–206. doi:10.1007/BF00433944. ISSN 1432-217X. S2CID 122758840.
- ^ Schulze, Markus (October 2003). "A New Monotonic and Clone-Independent Single-Winner Election Method". Voting matters (www.votingmatters.org.uk). McDougall Trust. 17. Archived from the original on 2020-07-11. Retrieved 2021-02-02.
- ^ Nicolaus Tideman (2006). Collective Decisions and Voting: The Potential for Public Choice. Ashgate Publishing, Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7546-4717-1.
- Nicolaus Tideman's website
- Nicolaus Tideman publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "Nicolaus Tideman". JSTOR.