Myllykoski Corporation

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Myllykoski Corporation
Company typePublic
IndustryPaper manufacturer
FoundedFinland, Germany (1892)
HeadquartersFinland, Germany
United States
Key people
Tuomo Tuomela, Managing Director
Sakari Vainio, Finance Director
Tapio Ahola, Technical Development Director
Number of employees
3,300 (2007)[1]

Myllykoski Corporation was a family owned international paper group with central offices in Helsinki and Anjalankoski, manufacturing in Germany, Finland and North America, and sales offices around the world. The roots of the company date back to its founding by the Björnberg family in 1892.[2] The company was acquired in 2011 by Finnish manufacturer UPM-Kymmene.[3]


The company makes supercalendered and coated (SC) paper and lightweight coated (LWC) paper, principally for use in magazines, catalogs, advertising inserts, and brochures. Myllykoski produces about 500,000 tons of paper annually, about 95% of which is exported to Europe, Africa, Asia, and the United States.[4]

The company owns about 65% while the other 35% was held by M-real. Myllykoski's paper is sold in the US through Madison International Sales Company, another Myllykoski Corporation subsidiary.[5]

Myllykoski is the third-largest producer of SC paper in the world and is among the top five in coated mechanical grades.

The European mills of Myllykoski are certified according to the guidelines of ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001. In addition to that, the German mills participate in the EMAS II validation. The mills in North America operate according to the standards of European mills, although they are not certified.[6]

Myllykoski Corporation Group[edit]

Myllykoski Paper[edit]

Myllykoski Paper producing mechanical uncoated (SC) and coated publication paper which yield about 570,000 tonnes annually. The company owns 50% of the Finnish pulp producer Sunila Oy together with Stora Enso.

Myllykoski Continental[edit]

Myllykoski Continental includes Lang Papier of Germany (newsprint and SC paper), MD Albbruck (coated offset paper in reels and sheets) and MD Plattling (coated rotogravure). The combined production capacity of Myllykoski Continental is 1.5 million tonnes annually.

Papierfabrik Utzenstorf of Switzerland (newsprint, UMI) left Myllykoski Corporation with management buyout by 24. June 2009.[7]

Myllykoski North America[edit]

Myllykoski North America includes Madison Paper Industries, in Madison, Maine, producing mechanical uncoated offset and rotogravure which yield about 220,000 tonnes annually. Madison Paper Company in Alsip, Illinois, recycled fiber-based coated offset which produced 140,000 tonnes annually.

Plattling Papier

Alliance partner[edit]

Rhein Papier is a legally independent company managed by Myllykoski Continental. The capacity of Rhein Papier is 280,000 TPa newsprint.


  1. ^ Myllykoski Group overview
  2. ^ Casillas, José C.; Acedo, Francisco J.; Moreno, Ana M. (2007). International entrepreneurship in family businesses. Edward Elgar Publishing. p. 338. ISBN 9781781956441. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
  3. ^ "UPM confirms closure of Myllykoski paper mill". Helsingin Sanomat. November 4, 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
  4. ^ "Myllykoski Paper Oy Company profile". Hoover's. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
  5. ^ Google search
  6. ^ Our paper section
  7. ^ press release: Myllykoski sells Utzenstorf mill

External links[edit]