|Miss Universe 1984|
|Date||9 July 1984|
|Venue||James L. Knight Convention Center, Miami, Florida, United States|
|Winner||Yvonne Ryding |
|Congeniality||Jessica Palao |
|Best National Costume||Juhi Chawla |
|Photogenic||Garbiñe Abasolo |
Miss Universe 1984 was the 33rd Miss Universe pageant, held on 9 July 1984 at the James L. Knight Convention Center in Miami, Florida, United States. Yvonne Ryding of Sweden was crowned by Lorraine Downes of New Zealand. Eighty-one contestants competed in this year. This is the third time that a Swedish woman has won Miss Universe, following Hillevi Rombin in 1955 and Margareta Arvidsson in 1966.
Location and date
Initially, Calgary, Alberta, Canada was chosen as host city for the pageant, a decision announced on March 13, 1984. Funding issues arose within days when the city council would not allow the tourist bureau to commit permanent funds to the event. An agreement was reached whereby funds from the city could be used but had to be repaid, although some complained about "using sex to sell the city". By late April there were indications that the pageant might be moved to Miami, Florida due to the continued financial issues, but that negotiations in the hope of Calgary retaining the event were ongoing. Despite the attempts of Calgary's Tourist Bureau, Miami was officially announced as the new venue on 12 May 1984, a decision which cost Calgary $125,000 and left the city facing a potential lawsuit from Miss Universe Inc., the pageant owner.
|Miss Universe 1984|
- Bahamas - Pamela Lois Parker withdrew after the Miss Bahamas Committee boycotted the contest due to South Africa being allowed to participate and send a representative.
- Indonesia - Titi Dwi Jayati
- Sri Lanka - Nilmini Iddamalgoda who was depressed and homesick.
- Transkei - Competed as South Africa since then.
- "Miss Universe pageant will be held in Calgary". The Globe and Mail. 1984-03-15. p. P3.
- "ACROSS CANADA Calgary council curbs funds for beauty show". The Globe and Mail. 1984-03-20. p. N3.
- "Miss Universe show may move location". The Globe and Mail. 1984-04-26.
- "Miss Universe deal takes an ugly turn". The Globe and Mail. 1984-05-12. p. P8.
- Jimmy's Pageant Page - Miss Universe 1984 information Archived 2015-04-10 at the Wayback Machine (accessed 2006-09-05)