Miss World Ireland is a national Beauty pageant in Ireland. Winners of the competition represent Ireland at Miss World. Among the winners are Rosanna Davison, who went on to win Miss World 2003, and Pamela Uba, who in 2021 became the first black woman to win the Miss Ireland title.
The first winner of Miss Ireland was Violet Nolan in 1947. The next winner, Eithne Dunne, came 5 years later in 1952. Thereafter there has been a winner every year except 2020, when the competetion was cancelled due to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic.
In 2012 the winner Marie Hughes, representing County Mayo, was stripped of her title when it was discovered that she was "too old", as she was aged 25 and would have been 26 at the time of the Miss World competition. She was replaced by the runner-up, Rebecca Maguire, aged 20.
- Color key
- Declared as Winner
- Ended as runner-up
- Ended as one of the finalists or semifinalists
|Year||Miss Ireland||Placement at Miss World|
|1947||Violet Nolan (Dawn Beauty)|
|1960||Irene Ruth Kane||Top 10|
|1961||Olive Ursula White||Top 15|
|1965||Gladys Anne Waller||2nd Runner-up|
|1968||June MacMahon||Top 15|
|1970||Mary Elizabeth McKinley|
|1974||Julie Ann Farnham||Top 15|
|1975||Elaine Rosemary O'Hara|
|1976||Jakki Moore||Top 15|
|1977||Loraine Bernadette Enriquez|
|1978||Lorraine Marion O'Connor|
|1981||Geraldine Mary McGrory||Top 15|
|1982||Roberta Brown||6th Runner-Up|
|1983||Patricia 'Trish' Nolan||Top 15|
|1984||Olivia Tracey||6th Runner-Up|
|1985||Anne Marie Gannon||Top 15|
|1986||Rosemary Elizabeth Thompson||Top 15|
|1989||Barbara Ann Curran||Top 10|
|1990||Siobhan McClafferty||1st Runner-up|
|1994||Anna Maria McCarthy|
|1996||Niamh Marie Redmond|
|1999||Emir-Maria Holohan Doyle|
|2003||Rosanna Davison||Miss World 2003|
|2004||Natasha Nic Gairbheith|
|2005||Aoife Mary Cogan|
|2010||Emma Waldron||Top 7, Miss World Talent|
|2018||Aoife O'Sullivan||Miss World Sport (Top 24)|
|2019||Chelsea Farrell||Miss World Head to Head (Top 20)|
|2020||Due to the impact of COVID-19 pandemic, no pageant in 2020|
|2021||Pamela Uba||Top 40, Miss World Talent (2nd Runner-Up) & Miss World Sport (Top 32)|
- "Miss Ireland - Legacy". Miss Ireland. 2017. Retrieved 14 October 2021.
- O' Regan, Mark (2 May 2012). "Tantrums and tiaras as Miss Ireland stripped of title for being too old at 25 to be beauty queen". Irish Independent. Retrieved 14 October 2021.
JUST days after she was handed her Miss Ireland crown, Marie Hughes has been dethroned after it emerged she was too old to enter the beauty competition. Miss Hughes was officially stripped of her title on Sunday after organisers inadvertently discovered during a routine conversation that she is 25 -- and not 21 as originally believed. ... The surprise news has paved the way for the competition's first runner-up, brunette Rebecca Maguire (20), to represent Ireland in China in four months.
- "Pamela Uba: First black Miss World Ireland reveals she's suffered racism and bullying since win". Sky News.
- "Miss Ireland 2014 winner announced". rte.ie. RTÉ. 20 July 2014. Retrieved 19 February 2023.
- "Miss Tipperary crowned winner of Miss Ireland in glitzy bash". irishmirror. 21 September 2016.
- "18-year-old Lauren McDonagh from Donegal is crowned the new Miss Ireland". independent.ie. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "MISS MUNSTER IVANNA MCMAHON CROWNED MISS IRELAND 2022". goss.ie. Retrieved 7 March 2023.