Michael John Trotta
|Born||1978 (age 44–45)|
Point Pleasant, New Jersey
|Instruments||Piano, voice, conducting|
During his undergraduate career at Rowan University, Trotta studied voice and conducting and earned his Bachelor's of Music Degree in Music Education. After 10 years of full-time public school teaching, he earned his Master's Degree in Composition and Choral Conducting. He earned his Doctorate in Choral Conducting at Louisiana State University, where he studied with Kenneth Fulton. While at LSU he met his future wife, Rachel. After graduating, he taught at Rowan University, Oklahoma State University, and Virginia Wesleyan College.
In 2015, Trotta relocated to New York City to work as a full-time freelance Composer. Since that time, he has received several commissions, including the major work for choir and orchestra Seven Last Words', For a Breath of Ecstasy, and Gloria, the premiere of which he was invited to conduct at Carnegie Hall.
He was named Distinguished Composer & Conductor by Mid America Productions for the purpose of “fostering the creation, performance and growth of his music in America and Europe.
- Totus Tuus (2015)
- In the Bleak Midwinter (2016)
- Seven Last Words (2017)
Seven Last Words (Septem Verbum Ultima)
- Father, Forgive Them
- Today, You Will Be with Me
- Behold Your Son
- I Thirst
- My God, Why Have You Abandoned Me?
- Into Your Hands I Surrender My Soul
- It is Finished
A Light Shines in the Darkness (SATB/keyboard/opt. Strings)
- Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep (Elizabeth Frye)
- I Seek A Faith(Vachel Lindsay)
- The Lord is My Shepherd(Psalm 23)
- A Light Shines in the Darkness (Rabindranath Tagore)
- Death Shall Be No More (John Donne)
- I Saw a New Heaven (Revelation)
- Even Death Itself(Virgil)
- Deep Peace (Traditional Celtic Blessing)
For A Breath of Ecstasy – (SATB/oboe/strings) 31’
(texts by Sara Teasdale)
- Wealth Enough For Me
- Peace Flows Into Me
- Who Gave My Soul To Me
- For You I Am Still
- Spend All You Have On Loveliness
- And I For You
- Let Me Love
Gloria – (SATB/brass, organ and percussion or full orchestra) 14’
- Gloria in excelsis Deo
- Domine Deus, Rex caelestis,
- Quoniam tu solus Sanctus
Magnificat – (SATB/chamber orchestra or full orchestra) 40’
- Magnificat anima mea Dominum 1 (My soul glorifies the Lord)
- Quia fecit (He has done great things for me)
- Ave rosa sine spinis (Rose without thorns)
- Fecit Potentiam (He has shown strength)
- Ecce ancilla (I am the servant)
- Esurientes (The hungry shall be filled)
- Sicut locutus est (As he promised)
Requiem – (SATB/organ or chamber orchestra) 40'
- Introit and Kyrie
- Dies irae
- Offertory et Hostias
- Pie Jesu
- Agnus Dei
- Lux Aeterna
- Libera Me
- Et Mors Ultra Non Erit
- In Paradisum
- "Marlin Magazine 2014-2015". issuu. p. 20. Retrieved 2017-05-13.
- "New England Symphonic Ensemble". www.carnegiehall.org. Retrieved 2017-05-13.
- "MusicalAmerica - Trotta "Gloria" to be MidAmerica Productions' 100th New York Premiere | March 31, 2 PM". www.musicalamerica.com. Retrieved 2019-09-17.
- "| Rowan University". academics.rowan.edu. Retrieved 2017-05-13.
- "Michael John Trotta 38 | B.M. Music Education '02". 40 Under 40. Retrieved 2017-05-13.
- "Michael John Trotta profile". carlfischer.com. Retrieved 2017-05-13.
- The Choral Scholar: Volume 6, Number 1 — Spring 2017 https://www.ncco-usa.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/TCS_v7n1_e-Roste.pdf
- West, David. "NSU Chamber Choir releases CD | Natchitoches Times". Retrieved 2020-01-01.
- "MusicalAmerica - Trotta "Gloria" to be MidAmerica Productions' 100th New York Premiere | March 31, 2 PM". www.musicalamerica.com. Retrieved 2020-01-01.
- "New England Symphonic Ensemble". carnegiehall.org. Retrieved 2017-05-13.
- "MusicalAmerica - Michael John Trotta Named 'Distinguished Composer & Conductor' by MidAmerica Productions". musicalamerica.com. Retrieved 2020-01-01.