|Birth name||Mariann Vestbostad|
|Born||September 9, 1984|
|Alma mater||Western Norway University of Applied Sciences|
|Sport||Cross-country skiing, swimming|
|Disability||Right leg amputation|
|Coached by||Torbjørn Brox Pettersen|
|Updated on 15 November 2017.|
Mariann Marthinsen (born 9 September 1984) is a Norwegian cross-country skier and swimmer. She won a bronze medal at the 2008 Summer Paralympics, and won Norway's only gold medal at 2014 Winter Paralympics.
Mariann Marthinsen (née Vestbostad) was born on 9 September 1984. Her right leg was amputated when she was two, following a road traffic accident. She attended Western Norway University of Applied Sciences, where she studied Social Work Studies, later going on to become a social worker. In 2003, she began competing in swimming. During the course of her swimming career, she set 17 world records and won a bronze medal at the 2008 Summer Paralympics in Beijing, China, in the women's 100 metre backstroke S8, and also competed in freestyle races.
Also in 2008, she decided to take up cross-country skiing, going on to win the seated skiing World Cup in 2013/14. At the 2014 Winter Paralympics in Sochi, Russia, she won Norway's first gold medal at a Winter Paralympics with a victory in the women's 1km sprint classic, sitting. Marthinsen had led in the prologue round, and then in her heat but entered the final as the third fastest. She entered the last corner in fourth place, but took the lead with a few metres to go. In the 5 km race, one of her skis were damaged early in the race, resulting in Marthinsen finishing in 15th place.
- ^ a b "MARTHINSEN Mariann". Paralympic.org. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- ^ a b c "- En helt ubeskrivelig følelse". Dagbladet. 16 December 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- ^ Lyngoy, Roar (12 March 2014). "Gull-Marthinsen: – Helt ubeskrivelig!". Aftenposten (in Norwegian). Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- ^ "Ulset på 6.-plass i Paralympics". Sunnmorsposten. 16 March 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- Living people
- 1984 births
- Norwegian female cross-country skiers
- Norwegian female backstroke swimmers
- Norwegian female freestyle swimmers
- Paralympic gold medalists for Norway
- Paralympic bronze medalists for Norway
- Norwegian social workers
- Swimmers at the 2004 Summer Paralympics
- Swimmers at the 2008 Summer Paralympics
- Swimmers at the 2012 Summer Paralympics
- Cross-country skiers at the 2014 Winter Paralympics
- Medalists at the 2008 Summer Paralympics
- Medalists at the 2014 Winter Paralympics
- Paralympic medalists in cross-country skiing
- Paralympic medalists in swimming
- Paralympic swimmers of Norway
- Paralympic cross-country skiers of Norway
- S8-classified Paralympic swimmers
- 20th-century Norwegian women
- 21st-century Norwegian women
- Norwegian swimming biography stubs
- Norwegian cross-country skiing biography stubs
- European Paralympic medalist stubs
- Norwegian sportspeople stubs