This biographical article is written like a résumé. (August 2021)
|Member of Parliament|
for Thunder Bay—Rainy River
|Assumed office |
October 21, 2019
|Preceded by||Don Rusnak|
|Born||January 20, 1960|
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
|Political party||Liberal Party of Canada|
Marcus Powlowski (born January 20, 1960) is a Canadian Member of Parliament who was elected to represent the riding of Thunder Bay—Rainy River in the 2019 Canadian federal election. Powlowski was also named a chief in Ambae, Vanuatu with the title of Vera Liu. He is married to Mirasol Añora Powlowski and has six children.
Powlowski holds a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Medical Doctorate from the University of Toronto. He also holds a Bachelor of Law from the University of Toronto, as well as a master's degree in Public Health (Health Law and Policy) from Harvard University and a master's degree in Global Health Law from Georgetown University.
Before his election in 2019, Marcus Powlowski served in several roles, most recently as an emergency room doctor at the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre and associate professor of medicine, Northern Ontario School of Medicine. Powlowski also practiced medicine for two years in Northern Canadian First Nations communities and for seven years in Swaziland, The Gambia, Papua New Guinea, and Vanuatu. He has also worked for the World Health Organization as a health legislation consultant and taught Global Health at Lakehead University and University of San Francisco, and Global Health Law at Lakehead University Faculty of Law.
After assuming office as the Member of Parliament for Thunder Bay—Rainy River in 2019, Powlowski was named to the Standing Committees on Health, as well as the Indigenous and Northern Affairs. Powlowski has been an outspoken advocate for the use of human challenge trials for vaccine development during the COVID-19 pandemic.
|2019 Canadian federal election: Thunder Bay—Rainy River|
|New Democratic||Yuk-Sem Won||11,944||29.10||-0.57||none listed|
|Green||Amanda Moddejonge||1,829||4.46||-0.77||none listed|
|People's||Andrew Hartnell||741||1.81||–||none listed|
|Total valid votes/expense limit||41,051||99.20|
|Total rejected ballots||333||0.80||+0.39|
|Source: Elections Canada|
- * Marcus Powlowski – Parliament of Canada biography
- "Canada election results: Thunder Bay—Rainy River". Global News. October 21, 2019. Retrieved October 21, 2019.
- "Marcus Powlowski wins Thunder Bay-Rainy River Liberal nomination". CBC News. July 30, 2019. Retrieved October 21, 2019.
- "Marcus Powlowski". marcuspowlowski.libparl.ca. Retrieved October 29, 2020.
- "Marcus Powlowski - Member of Parliament - Members of Parliament - House of Commons of Canada". www.ourcommons.ca. Retrieved November 2, 2020.
- "They're back: 25 Members of Parliament to watch this session". The Hill Times. September 23, 2020.
- "List of confirmed candidates". Elections Canada. Retrieved October 4, 2019.
- "Official Voting Results". Elections Canada. Retrieved August 10, 2021.