Luz María Sapag
|Mayor of San Martín de los Andes|
Luz María Sapag
15 June 1944
Cutral Có, Neuquén, Argentina
|Died||7 June 2010 (aged 66)|
San Martín de los Andes, Argentina
|Political party||Neuquino People's Movement|
|Children||Carmen Lucila Crexell|
Luz María Sapag (June 15, 1944 – July 7, 2010) was an Argentine politician, Mayor of the city of San Martín de los Andes and formerly a Senator representing the Neuquén Province under the aegis of the Neuquino People's Movement.
Sapag was born in Cutral Có, Neuquén. She was a member of the influential Arab Argentine Sapag family – daughter of Elías Sapag, a senator; niece of Felipe Sapag, five-time governor of Neuquén; and sister to Jorge Sapag, governor of Neuquén from 2007.
She became secretary of government of the municipality of San Martín de los Andes in 1987, and in 1991 became Mayor of the city. She was re-elected in 1995, and in 1999 was elected to the Provincial Legislature.
Luz Sapag was elected to the Senate in 2001, and later served as president of the Environmental Committee. In June 2006, prosecutors in Neuquén asked the Argentine Congress to lift her immunity so that she could face trial for abuse of office whilst Mayor of San Martín de los Andes.
In June 2007 she was re-elected Mayor of San Martín de los Andes and stepped down from the Senate.
- Senate profile (Spanish)
- Sapag family history Archived 2007-03-11 at the Wayback Machine
- "La Justicia solicitó al Congreso el desafuero de la senadora Luz Sapag". www.rionegro.com.ar. Archived from the original on 2007-03-11.
- "ELECCIONES EN NEUQUEN: Luz Sapag vuelve a la intendencia de San Martín". www.rionegro.com.ar. Archived from the original on 2007-10-31.
- "Obituary". Archived from the original on 2011-07-28. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- ""Crexell llegó a Senadora por ser la hija de Luz Sapag"". San Martín a Diario (in Spanish). 1 November 2017. Retrieved 19 July 2021.