This article possibly contains original research. (March 2021)
|Part of a series on|
Libertarian Marxism is a broad scope of economic and political philosophies that emphasize the anti-authoritarian and libertarian aspects of Marxism. Early currents of libertarian Marxism such as left communism emerged in opposition to Marxism–Leninism.
Libertarian Marxism includes currents such as autonomism, council communism, De Leonism, Lettrism, parts of the New Left, Situationism, Socialisme ou Barbarie and workerism. Libertarian Marxism has often had a strong influence on both post-left and social anarchists. Notable theorists of libertarian Marxism have included Maurice Brinton, Cornelius Castoriadis, Guy Debord, Raya Dunayevskaya, Daniel Guérin, C. L. R. James, Antonio Negri, Anton Pannekoek, Fredy Perlman, Ernesto Screpanti, E. P. Thompson, and Yanis Varoufakis, who argues that Marx himself was a libertarian Marxist.
- Varoufakis, Yanis. "Yanis Varoufakis thinks we need a radically new way of thinking about the economy, finance and capitalism". TED. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
Yanis Varoufakis describes himself as a "libertarian Marxist
- Lowry, Ben (11 March 2017). "Yanis Varoufakis: We leftists are not necessarily pro public sector – Marx was anti state". The Wews Letter. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
- Pioneers of Anti-Parliamentarism by Guy Aldred. Glasgow: Bakunin Press.
- Non-Leninist Marxism: Writings on the Workers Councils (a collection of writings by Gorter, Pannekoek, Pankhurst, and Ruhle). Red and Black Publishers, St Petersburg, Florida, 2007. ISBN 978-0979181368.
- The International Communist Current, itself a Left Communist grouping, has produced a series of studies of what it views as its own antecedents. The book on the German-Dutch current, which is by Philippe Bourrinet (who later left the ICC), in particular contains an exhaustive bibliography.
- (in French) L'Autonomie. Le mouvement autonome en France et en Italie, éditions Spartacus 1978.
- Benjamin Noys (ed). Communization and its Discontents: Contestation, Critique, and Contemporary Struggles. Minor Compositions, Autonomedia. 2011. 1st ed.
- Beyond post-socialism. Dialogues with the far-left by Chamsy el- Ojeili. Palgrave Macmillan. 2015.[ISBN missing]
- "Libertarian Marxism?" by Daniel Guérin.
- Situationist International online.
- "Libertarian Marxism's Relation to Anarchism" by Wayne Price.
- "Franz Kafka and Libertarian Socialism" by Michael Löwy.
- For Communism – John Gray WebSite: large online library of libertarian communist texts.
- Left Communism collection on the Marxists Internet Archive.
- "The Libertarian Marxism of Andre Breton" by Michael Löwy.