|Masanori Watatani, President|
|Products||Markers, brush pens, inks|
Number of employees
Founded under the name of "Kuretake Sumi" in 1902, the company originally started by producing sumi brushes, a brush similar in style to certain watercolor brushes, sharing a generally thick wooden or bamboo handle, and a broad soft hair brush that when wetted form a fine tip. The brushes produced by Kuretake Sumi were designed for sumi-e, or inkwash painting.
In 1965, Kuretake Industries Co., Ltd. was established as a plant specializing in the production of writing instruments while Tokyo office was established. In 1986, a subsidiary, "Kuretake U.K. Ltd." was established in the West Midlands, England. In 2014 another subsidiary, "Kuretake ZIG Corporation" was established in Sacramento, United States.
The firm also gained reputation for its "brush pen", similar to a marker pen with a brush-shapered flexible tip but refillable, using replaceable ink cartridges like fountain pens do. The brush pen by Kuretake was the first using cartridges (although Pentel would later launch a brush model that used cartridges also).
- "Kuretake statement as of 2011". Archived from the original on 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "Company profile". Archived from the original on 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- "Kuretake history - official site". Archived from the original on 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- Kuretake brush pen review on Parkablogs, 19 Nov 2012
- Kuretake UK - Products
- "Kuretake products in CraftIndustry site". Archived from the original on 2011-08-31. Retrieved 2011-05-23.