|First meeting||November 11, 1948|
Royals 83, Warriors 75
|Latest meeting||November 28, 2023|
Kings 124, Warriors 123
|Next meeting||January 25, 2024|
|All-time series||221–197 (GS)|
|Regular season series||217–194 (GS)|
|Postseason results||4–3 (GS)|
|Longest win streak||SAC W14|
|Current win streak||SAC W1|
The Kings–Warriors rivalry is a National Basketball Association (NBA) rivalry between the Sacramento Kings and the Golden State Warriors. The rivalry takes geographic influence as the two teams share the Northern California region since San Francisco and Sacramento are approximately 86 miles apart. The rivalry extends back to 1985 in which the Kings relocated to Sacramento from Kansas City. Both teams had historically struggled in an effort to appear in the postseason for the duration of their history in California. As such; neither would face each other in the playoffs until 2023, where they faced off in the first round. In a fashion similar to the former 49ers–Raiders rivalry of the NFL, fans between both sides have formed a recent history of violence between each other. The Warriors lead the regular season series 216–193 and the postseason series 4–3.
Both teams had historically been two of the oldest franchises in league history, with the Kings having been founded in 1923 as the Rochester Seagrams. The Warriors later joined the NBA in 1946 as the Philadelphia Warriors. Despite the early history; the Kings endured a lengthy title drought since 1951 that persists to this day. The Warriors, (inspired by the Giants' relocation to California in 1957) later sought to relocate to California in an effort to increase their market share. The Kings endured unstable ownership during the same stretch of time; relocating to Cincinnati in 1957, Kansas City and Omaha in 1972, and finally to Sacramento in 1985; joining the Warriors as the two NBA franchises splitting the Northern California Market.
Throughout their history, the Warriors and Kings have had many intense moments with each other. One notable moment was in 2015 where Klay Thompson set an NBA record 37 points in a quarter en route to dropping 52 in a 123-101 win. In the 2018-19 season, former Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins signed with the Warriors. During the season, all the Warriors-Kings matchups were very close but all four games ended in Warriors victories. Two of those games had major moments. On November 24, Klay Thompson hit a game winning layup to defeat the Kings 117-116. On January 5, the Warriors and Kings set a then NBA record 41 threes in a game. Stephen Curry dropped 42 points in a 127-123 win. In the 2023-2024 season, the teams hit clutch shots against each other. During the preseason, Stephen Curry hit a game-winning three en route to a 116-115 victory. On November 1, Klay Thompson hit a game-winning jumper on their way to a 102-101 victory. It was his third game winner against the Kings. On November 28, Malik Monk hit a game-winning jumper to beat the Warriors 124-123 to secure a spot in the NBA In-Season Tournament quarterfinals.
First playoff meeting
The Warriors managed to rebuild the franchise during the late 2000s in the form of drafting future star players such as Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green. It was after the hiring of head coach Steve Kerr that the Warriors began a famed dynasty through the late 2010s and early 2020s; winning four championships. Meanwhile; the Kings endured numerous failed rebuilds following several powerful contending teams in the early 2000s. It began with the hiring of former Warriors' assistant Head Coach Mike Brown in 2022 that helped return the team to their first postseason appearance in 16 years, winning their first division title since 2003 in the process. The two teams met each other in the postseason for the first time; in the opening round of the 2023 NBA Playoffs, however; the Warriors had come off of the prior season as defending champions. During game 1 in Sacramento, Vallejo-based rapper E-40 was ejected after a confrontation with a Kings fan at his courtside seat. In game 2, a rough play occurred, with Draymond Green stomping on Domantas Sabonis's chest after he grabbed Green's leg, resulting in Green being suspended for game 3. Despite the Warriors experiencing numerous injuries to star players such as Draymond Green, they managed to defeat the Kings in 7 games. Stephen Curry scored 50 points in game 7, marking the first time a player scored more than 50 points in a game 7 during a playoff series. The series drew the highest first- and second-round playoff TV ratings for the NBA since 1999, with game 7 peaking at 11.9 million viewers on ABC. Curry's 50-point Game 7 record did not last long, as Jayson Tatum broke this soon after with his 51 points in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals between the Boston Celtics and the Philadelphia 76ers.
- List of National Basketball Association rivalries
- Bay Bridge Series
- 49ers–Raiders rivalry
- The Big Game
- "Series records : Golden State Warriors(H) against Sacramento Kings(A)".
- "Golden State Warriors vs. Sacramento Kings Head-to-Head in the NBA Regular Season - All-Time Game Log".
- "Kings top Warriors in regional rivalry's last game".
- "Warriors beat Kings this time, but NorCal rivalry just getting started".
- "Sacramento Family divided over Kings-Warriors rivalry".
- "Warriors v. Kings: Golden State rekindles rivalry with Sacramento".
- "urtenbach: The Kings used the Warriors' blueprint to break their curse, but it'll take more than imitation to beat Golden State".
- "Warriors-Kings: Northern California Rivalry Gone Wrong".
- "I-80 playoff showdown between Warriors and Kings tests allegiance of Solano County residents - CBS San Francisco". CBS News. April 14, 2023.
- "49ers Tried to Play Both Sides of Warriors-Kings Rivalry, and Fans Weren't Having It".
- ""Warriors and Kings Fans Are Beating Each Other Up": Shaquille O'Neal Shares Clip of Brawl Amidst Stephen Curry and Co's Game 4 Win". April 24, 2023.
- "Kings, Warriors fans end up in violent fight during game".
- "Chris Biderman expects Kings–Warriors to be a 'healthy' rivalry going forward".
- "California's Underdog Team Makes It to the N.B.A. Playoffs".
- "Warriors and Kings as Rivals: Why it hasn't happened yet".
- "3-for-all: Warriors and Kings set NBA record for combined 3-pointers".
- "Sacramento Kings Rivals: A Close Look at Their Top Competitors".
- "CHART: Kings, Warriors Rivalry Has Never Gotten Started".
- "Logan Webb on Giants Spring Training and Warriors-Kings Rivalry".
- "Return of the Kings".
- "Sacramento Kings face potential rivalry with Golden State Warriors - ABC10".
- "Mike Brown drops truth bomb on Kings-Warriors rivalry".
- "Playoff Preview: Kings Ignite NorCal Rivalry With Warriors".
- "A rivalry reimagined: Warriors, Kings meet in historic playoff series".
- "Rapper E-40 ejected from Game 1 of Kings-Warriors, cites 'racial bias'".
- "Draymond Green stomped on Domantas Sabonis and got suspended in NBA Playoffs". April 18, 2023.
- "Warriors-Kings Rivalry Takes Another Twist".
- "Green-Barnes rivalry a fascinating subplot to Warriors-Kings series".
- "Kings vs. Warriors Game 3: What you need to know about the matchup".
- "Kings-Warriors Game 7 was most watched first-round NBA playoff game since 1999".
- Hartwell, Darren (2023-05-14). "Jayson Tatum sets NBA record with Game 7 masterpiece vs. Sixers". NBC Sports Boston. Archived from the original on May 24, 2023. Retrieved 2023-05-15.