|Formerly||Hughes Associates, Rolf Jensen & Associates, Inc.|
|Industry||Fire Protection Engineering|
Jensen Hughes (previously stylized as JENSEN HUGHES) is a professional engineering and consulting services company headquartered in Baltimore that provides services, software, and consulting in fire protection engineering, forensic engineering, and security. The company has approximately 90 offices globally in part due to its acquisitions of and mergers with related safety and security middle-market companies in recent years. As of 2019, it has been led by CEO Raj Arora. The company's projects include conducting forensic investigations of fire accident scenes on behalf of local courts, studying fire dynamics of chemicals with the National Institute of Justice, and working with healthcare associations to stock local clinical practices and hospitals with PPE and other medical supplies.
Hughes Associates, a fire protection engineering consultant, was founded in 1980 in Baltimore and, among other projects, performed safety upgrades to historic buildings and landmarks such as the Library of Congress. In 2011, as part of a larger movement into the professional services sector, the private equity firm Huron Capital partners signed an agreement with the management team of Hughes Associates to recapitalize the business.
The business later became Jensen Hughes following a merger with Rolf Jensen & Associates, Inc., a firm founded by Illinois Institute of Technology professor and safety engineer Rolf Jensen. In 2015, Gryphon Investors acquired Jensen Hughes from Huron Capital partners. Since then, Jensen Hughes itself has gone on to acquire additional companies, strengthening its Fire Engineering Consultancy through the acquisition of JGA Fire Engineering in August 2018.
Karen Gardner report
In response to the public outcry surrounding the city's police actions during the arrest of the elderly Karen Gardner, the company was hired to investigate the Loveland police department. Jensen Hughes found that the officers failed to further investigate whether Garner was injured.
Awards and scholarships
Jensen Hughes has placed in the Building Design + Construction Top 80 Engineering Firms list and, in 2019, it placed in two of Engineering News-Record lists, Top 225 International Design Firms and Top 500 Design firms. In 2018, Siemens awarded Jensen Hughes its annual Engineering Innovation Award for Fire and Life Safety Design.
Jensen Hughes endows the yearly Rolf H. Jensen Award for Outstanding Committee Service through the Society of Fire Protection Engineers. It also sponsors the Jensen Hughes Graduate Fire Safety Award at the University of Waterloo.
- "FPE and Sponsor Jensen Hughes Offer Holistic 'Think Tank' Course". fpe.umd.edu. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- Wolfson, Andrew. "Consultant hired to dissect Louisville police doesn't 'play footsie' with departments". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "EFCG warns on 'overoptimistic' industry projections". Environment Analyst Global. 27 May 2020. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- Insurance, Spot On (2020-10-13). "The Science of Safety in Insurance Episode 186". Spot On Insurance. Retrieved 2020-12-24.
- "NIJ and Jensen Hughes: Advancing the Forensic Analysis of Ignitable Liquid Fuel Fires". Forensic Technology Center of Excellence. February 14, 2018. Retrieved January 23, 2021.
- "Public health agencies announce new partnership to support long-term care centers". WHSV. 6 May 2020. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "Crowning Achievement". www.nfpa.org. Retrieved 2020-12-17.
- "Huron Engineering Investment Acquires Key Strategic Partner". CBS Detroit. 2011-11-14. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "Huron Capital's Hughes Associates and RJA Group Merge". Wall Street Journal. 2014-06-30. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "JENSEN HUGHES Brand Launches Following Merger". www.sdmmag.com. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "Rolf H. Jensen Obituary - IL | Chicago Tribune". www.legacy.com. Retrieved 2020-12-17.
- Sherman, Natalie (8 December 2015). "California firm takes stake in Baltimore County's Jensen Hughes". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2020-12-17.
- "Jensen Hughes, Nexus Technical Services announce merger". www.esmagazine.com. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "Chicago security firm Hillard Heintze acquired". Crain's Chicago Business. 2019-04-22. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "JGA Fire Engineering Acquired By Jensen Hughes". CapEQ. Retrieved 2022-06-06.
- "Loveland releases Jensen Hughes internal affairs findings on Karen Garner arrest". Loveland Reporter-Herald. 2022-11-04. Retrieved 2023-06-14.
- "Independent Assessment Of Loveland Police Complete, Findings To Be Released Jan. 11". www.cbsnews.com. 2022-01-05. Retrieved 2023-06-14.
- "Investigation into Karen Garner arrest reveals 'egregious mistakes' by Loveland officers". Fort Collins Coloradoan. Retrieved 2023-06-14.
- "'A Bit Frustrating At Times': Loveland Mayor And Former Karen Garner Family Attorney React To Investigation Into Police Department". www.cbsnews.com. 2022-01-06. Retrieved 2023-06-14.
- "Top 80 Engineering Firms for 2019". Building Design + Construction. 2 August 2019. Retrieved 2020-12-17.
- "ENR 2019 Top 225 International Design Firms 1-100". www.enr.com. Retrieved 2020-12-17.
- "ENR 2019 Top 500 Design Firms". www.enr.com. Retrieved 2020-12-17.
- "Siemens Recognizes Jensen Hughes for Innovative Approach to Fire/Life Safety Design". www.aviationpros.com. June 12, 2018. Retrieved 2021-01-23.
- "The Rolf H. Jensen Award for Outstanding Committee Service". sfpe.connectedcommunity.org. Retrieved 2020-12-17.
- "Jensen Hughes Graduate Fire Safety Award". Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs. 2016-12-02. Retrieved 2021-01-21.