|Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of the Congo|
|Assumed office |
26 April 2021
|Preceded by||Sylvestre Ilunga|
|Born||4 August 1977|
|Political party||Future of Congo|
Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde Kyenge (born 4 August 1977) is a Congolese politician from the former Katanga Province who has occupied the role of Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of the Congo since 15 February 2021. He was named the day of the 2021 Congo River disaster. He announced his cabinet on 12 April 2021. He is a member of the Future of Congo party.
Lukonde was born on 4 August 1977, in Paris, and is an engineer by training. He is the son of Stéphane Lukonde Kyenge, an important figure in the political scene of his native Katanga who was assassinated in 2001.
After being active in politics as a member of the Avenir du Congo (English, Future of Congo) party, and becoming one of the youngest Deputies at the National Assembly (Democratic Republic of the Congo), Lukonde was named Minister of Youth, Sports, and Leisure in December 2014, during the Joseph Kabila Presidency. He served in this position for 10 months, before resigning to support his party in their opposition to Kabila's bid for a third successive term as President.
In June 2019, Lukonde became the Director-General of Gécamines: one of the largest mining companies in Africa, and the biggest in the Democratic Republic of Congo. He was appointed to this position by President Félix Tshisekedi in June 2019. Prior to this position, he was also deputy general administrator of the Congo National Railway Company, the SNCC.
- "DR Congo's Tshisekedi names new PM after power struggle". France 24. 15 February 2021. Retrieved 16 February 2021.
- "Congo River Disaster: Nine dead, Many Missing as Boat Capsizes Near DR Congo Capital". News18. 16 February 2021. Retrieved 16 November 2021.
- "DR Congo announces formation of new government". DW.COM. 12 April 2021. Retrieved 21 April 2021.
- "Secretary Blinken's Travel to Cambodia, the Philippines, South Africa, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Rwanda". United States Department of State. Retrieved 21 August 2022.
- "RDC : Qui est le nouveau Premier Ministre Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde Kyenge ? -" (in French). 16 February 2021. Retrieved 13 April 2021.
- "DRC: Tshisekedi appoints Sama Lukonde Kyenge as new PM". The Africa Report.com. 17 February 2021. Retrieved 16 November 2021.
- AfricaNews (15 February 2021). "Tshisekedi names Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde new DRC prime minister". Africanews. Retrieved 30 April 2021.
- archyde. "Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde appointed Prime Minister of the DRC". Retrieved 30 April 2021.
- "Congo president names new prime minister, increases control". Daily Herald. Associated Press. 15 February 2021. Retrieved 16 February 2021.
- archyde (15 February 2021). "Jean-Michel Sama Lukonde appointed Prime Minister of the DRC". Archyde. Retrieved 16 February 2021.