Islamabad High Court
|Islamabad High Court|
|اسلام آباد ہائی کورٹ|
|Jurisdiction||Islamabad Capital Territory|
|Location||Bela Road, Sector G-10/1, Islamabad|
|Composition method||Presidential appointment on Judicial Commission recommendation|
|Authorized by||Constitution of Pakistan|
|Appeals to||Supreme Court of Pakistan|
|Appeals from||Islamabad District Courts|
|Judge term length||Until 62 years of age|
|Number of positions||10|
|Chief Justice of Islamabad High Court|
- Islamabad District Court (East)
- Islamabad District Court (West)
The Court was originally established on 14 August 2007 by Presidential Order of Pervez Musharraf, the military ruler at the time. The Court ceased to exist on 31 July 2009 by a decision of the Supreme Court of Pakistan following Constitution Petition No. 09 and 08 of 2009.
The Court was re-established by the Islamabad High Court Act, 2010 following the 18th Amendment to the Constitution of Pakistan. President Asif Ali Zardari administered the Oath to the first Chief Justice, Iqbal Hameed ur Rahman on 3 January 2011 at the Governor's House (Karachi).
The Islamabad High Court is headed by a Chief Justice. The bench consists of six Justices and additional judges. The mandatory retirement age of the Chief Justice and Justices is 62 years. The Additional Judges were initially appointed for one year. After that, their services could either be extended or they could be confirmed or they were retired. The current composition of the High Court is as follows:
|No.||Name||Appointed||Retirement Date||Appointed From||Comments|
|1||Athar Minallah||17 June 2014||12 December 2023||Khyber Pakhtunkhwa||Appointed as Chief Justice on 28 November 2018.|
|2||Aamer Farooq||1 January 2015||25 April 2031||Punjab||Senior puisne judge|
|3||Mohsin Akhtar Kayani||23 December 2015||10 February 2032||Islamabad|
|4||Miangul Hassan Aurangzeb||24 December 2015||13 September 2032||Khyber Pakhtunkhwa|
|5||Tariq Mehmood Jahangiri||30 December 2020||9 July 2027||Islamabad|
|6||Babar Sattar||30 December 2020|
|7||Sardar Ejaz Ishaq Khan||17 December 2021||Islamabad||Appointed as an additional judge for one year|
|8||Arbab Muhammad Tahir||17 December 2021||Appointed as an additional judge for one year|
|9||Saman Rafat Imtiaz||17 December 2021||7 June 2038||Sindh||Appointed as an additional judge for one year, retirement date is subjected to confirmation|
- Islamabad District Court
- List of Chief Justices of Islamabad High Court
- List of Justices of Islamabad High Court
- Judiciary of Pakistan
- Islamabad Bar Council
- "Islamabad High Court slaps Rs10m fine on secretaries, others". The Express Tribune. 1 January 2021. Retrieved 6 January 2021.
- "PTA Informs Islamabad High Court Regarding the Status of Social Media Firms". PhoneWorld. 6 January 2021. Retrieved 6 January 2021.
- "Text of Supreme Court judgment". Pakistan Herald Publication (Pvt.) Ltd. 1 August 2009. Retrieved 22 December 2019.
- "The Gazette of Pakistan" (PDF). Senate of Pakistan. 2 August 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2019.
- "IHC Chief Justice to take oath today". AAJ News. 3 January 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2019.