Irwin County Detention Center
The Irwin County Detention Center is a private prison operated by Louisiana-based LaSalle Corrections located in Irwin County, Georgia. At least 43 women prisoners and a whistleblower nurse came forward alleging non-consensual surgeries and medically unnecessary procedures, including hysterectomies, were performed by a gynecologist affiliated with the jail. Following the allegations of abuse, ICE terminated its contract with the facility.
On December 22, 2020, forty migrant women being held at the Irwin County Detention Center immigration detention center filed a lawsuit alleging abuse and unnecessary forced medical procedures, including the hysterectomies. The women also complained of retaliation and subpar COVID-19 treatment. The Department of Justice (DoJ) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are conducting investigations; advocates have called upon President Joe Biden and Congress to investigate the abuse and close the Irwin County detention center. ICE opted to let its contract with LaSalle expire and not renew it; in September 2021, ICE removed its immigration-related detainees from the prison with the completion of the contract.
- ^ Clarke, Matthew (February 15, 2013). "LaSalle Corrections: A Family-Run Prison Firm". Prison Legal News. Archived from the original on November 17, 2020. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
- ^ Gabbatt, Adam (21 Nov 2020). "'He hurt me': migrants who accused Ice gynecologist of abuse speak out". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 April 2022.
- ^ Alvarez, Priscilla (16 September 2020). "Whistleblower alleges high rate of hysterectomies and medical neglect at ICE facility". CNN. Archived from the original on 19 September 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- ^ Olivares, José; Washington, John (September 15, 2020). "'He Just Empties You All Out': Whistleblower Reports High Number of Hysterectomies at Ice Detention Facility". The Intercept. Archived from the original on September 17, 2020. Retrieved September 17, 2020.
- ^ Olivares, José; Washington, John (September 14, 2020). "'A Silent Pandemic': Nurse at Ice Facility Blows the Whistle on Coronavirus Dangers". The Intercept. Archived from the original on September 17, 2020. Retrieved September 17, 2020.
- ^ Lambe, Jerry (September 14, 2020). "'Like an Experimental Concentration Camp': Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Center". Law & Crime. Archived from the original on September 17, 2020. Retrieved September 17, 2020.
- ^ O'Toole, Molly (October 22, 2020). "19 women allege medical abuse in Georgia immigration detention". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 2020-10-24. Retrieved 2020-10-24.
- ^ Sacchetti, Maria (May 20, 2021). "ICE to stop detaining immigrants at two county jails under federal investigation". The Washington Post. Retrieved 12 April 2022.
- ^ a b Castronuovo, Celine (22 December 2020). "Migrant women file lawsuit against doctor for alleged forced medical procedures". TheHill. The Hill. Retrieved December 22, 2020.
- ^ Redmon, Jeremy (September 4, 2021). "All ICE detainees moved out of South Georgia jail". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Archived from the original on January 22, 2022. Retrieved January 22, 2022.
Coordinates: 31°34′47″N 83°15′19″W / 31.579605°N 83.255403°W