|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Owner||(CTV Specialty Television Inc. (80%))|
(Bell Media (56%) and ESPN Inc. (24%))
|Launched||December 12, 2013|
|Former names||Canal D/Investigation|
|Website||Investigation (in French)|
Investigation (formerly Canal D/Investigation) is a Canadian French-language specialty channel. Owned by Bell Media, it primarily broadcasts true crime programming. It originally launched on December 12, 2013.
On August 10, 2011, Astral Media was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch "INVESTIGATION", described as "a national, specialty Category B service operating in the French language, devoted to exploring justice and forensic science: legal and police investigations, fraud and swindling, espionage, major trials, procedures, legal firms, coroners, forensic pathology, etc. Intended mainly for adult viewers, INVESTIGATION proposes to air magazines, documentaries, dramas and reality television shows related to justice and forensic science."
Amid an acquisition deal, which would see Bell Media acquire Astral for $3.38 billion, Astral announced in October that it would launch the channel by the end of 2012. Only days later, the Bell/Astral deal was denied by the CRTC.
After a second and successful attempt at acquiring Astral on July 5, 2013, Bell Media announced in November 2013 that it would launch the channel on December 12, 2013, indicating it would be called Investigation, However, prior to the channel's launch, on December 5, when announcing programming titles the channel would air at launch, Bell Media indicated the channel would be renamed Canal D/Investigation, co-branding it with Canal D. The channel was renamed Investigation in 2016.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-481 CRTC 2011-08-11
- Bell Canada to buy Astral Media for $3.38B CBC 2012-03-16
- Chaîne de crime La Presse 2012-10-16 (in French)
- CRTC denies Bell-Astral takeover BNN 2012-10-18
- Bell’s bid for Astral approved The Globe and Mail 2013-06-27
- Bell Media Announces Launch of French-language Channel Investigation Dec. 12 CNW 2013-11-14
- Programming Announced for Canal D/Investigation: A New Investigative French-Language Channel PR Newswire 2013-12-05
- Official website (in French)