An inflation hedge is an investment intended to protect the investor against—hedge—a decrease in the purchasing power of money—inflation. There is no investment known to be a successful hedge in all inflationary environments, just as there is no asset class guaranteed to increase in value in non-inflationary times.
Inflation can impact investment decisions by making it difficult to predict future prices. This makes it risky to invest in certain assets, such as commodities, that may be impacted by inflation.
Inflation can erode the value of investments over time. This is why it is important for investors to consider inflation when making investment decisions.
Barron's Finance & Investment Handbook states: "Traditionally, gold and real estate have a reputation as good inflation hedges, though growth in stocks also can offset inflation in the long run. Money market funds, which pay higher yields as interest rates rise during inflation times, can also be a good inflation hedge."
Certain cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin are sometimes considered a modern "digital gold" and an alternative hedge against inflation to the more traditional gold, yet performed very poorly during the 2021–2022 inflation surge.
Platinum, once considered to be a more speculative metal for investors, has turned out in the 2020s to be a metal seen as a hedge against inflation similar or superior to gold, silver, or Bitcoin.
- Navin, John (15 September 2022). "Inflation Hedge: Not Stocks, Not Bonds, Not Crypto, Not Precious Metals". Forbes. Retrieved 6 December 2022.
- Wilson, John (2022-11-23). "Macroeconomic Indicators For Investment Decisions". Clever Banker. Retrieved 2022-11-30.
- John Downes & Jordan Elliot Goodman, Barron's Finance & Investment Handbook (6th ed.: Barron's Educational Series, 2003), p. 496.
- Brockman, Katie (15 November 2021). "Is Bitcoin a Good Inflation Hedge?". www.fool.com/. The Motley Fool. Retrieved 8 December 2021.
- Locke, Taylor. "Bitcoin isn't an inflation hedge, and it hasn't been for a long time, Bank of America says". Fortune. Retrieved 29 July 2022.
- Partsinevelos, Kristina. "Redditors eye silver as hedge against inflation". www.cnbc.com/. CNBC. Retrieved 8 December 2021.
- Creamer, Martin. "Many seeing platinum as hard asset, potential inflation hedge – WPIC". www.miningweekly.com. Creamer Media Mining Weekly. Retrieved 8 March 2022.
- "Gold vs. Platinum: Which Is A Better Investment?". finance.yahoo.com. Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 8 March 2022.