|Born||5 August 1950|
|Title||Professor of Economics and Behavioural Science|
|Awards||Fellow of the British Academy (2010)|
|Education||Christ's Hospital |
Westminster City School
|Alma mater||University of Essex |
Birkbeck College, University of London
|Discipline||Behavioural economics |
|Institutions||University of Newcastle |
University of York
University of East Anglia
University of Warwick
Graham Loomes, FBA (born 5 August 1950) is a British economist and academic, specialising in behavioural economics. Since 2009, he has been Professor of Economics and Behavioural Science at the University of Warwick. He previously worked at the University of Newcastle, the University of York and the University of East Anglia.
Early life and education
Loomes was born on 5 August 1950 to Frederick and Gladys Loomes. He was educated at Christ's Hospital, a private school in Horsham, West Sussex, and at Westminster City School, then an all-boys grammar school in Westminster, London. He studied economics at the University of Essex, and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1970. After a period as a teacher, he undertook postgraduate studies in economics at Birkbeck College, University of London and graduated with a Master of Science (MSc) degree in 1978.
Loomes began his academic career as a teacher rather than a lecturer. Having graduated from university in 1970, he became a school teacher. He left this career in 1977 to return to university and study for a master's degree.
In 1978, after completing his master's degree, he joined the University of Newcastle as a research officer in its Department of Economics. He then moved to the Health Care Research Unit, where he was a lecturer. From 1984 to 1988, he was a senior lecturer and director of the graduate program in health economics at the University of York. From 1988 to 1995, he was Co-Director of the Centre for Experimental Economics. In 1991, he was appointed Professor of Economics.
From 1999 to 2000, he was both Co-Director of the Centre for Experimental Economics at York and Co-Director of the Centre for the Analysis of Safety Policy and Attitudes to Risk at the University of Newcastle. From 2001 to 2009, he was Professor of Economic Behaviour and Decision Theory at the University of East Anglia. In 2009, he joined the University of Warwick as Professor of Economics in its Economics Department. In 2011, he was also appointed Professor of Behavioural Science at Warwick Business School.
Loomes has three children; one son and two daughters.
In 2008, Loomes was awarded an Economic and Social Research Council Professorial Fellowship. In 2010, he was elected a Fellow of the British Academy (FBA).
- Weber, Elke U.; Baron, Jonathan; Loomes, Graham, eds. (2001). Conflict and tradeoffs in decision making. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0521772389.
- Bateman, Ian J.; Carson, Richard T.; Day, Brett; Hanemann, Michael; Hett, Tannis; Hanley, Nick; Jones-Lee, Michael; Loomes, Graham; Mourato, Susana; Ozdemiroglu, Ece; Pearce, David W.; Sugden, Robert; Swanson, John (2002). Economic valuation with stated preference techniques: a manual. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 978-1840649192.
- Bardsley, Nicholas; Cubitt, Robin; Loomes, Graham; Moffatt, Peter; Starmer, Chris; Sugden, Robert (2009). Experimental economics: rethinking the rules. Princeton: Princeton University Press. ISBN 978-0691124797.
- ^ a b c d e f "LOOMES, Prof. Graham". Who's Who 2015. Oxford University Press. November 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- ^ a b c "LOOMES, Prof. Graham". Who's Who 2016. Oxford University Press. November 2015. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- ^ a b "Professor Graham Loomes". Staff Directory. Warwick Business School. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- ^ "More professors join Warwick Business School". WBS News. Warwick Business School. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- ^ "Professor Graham Loomes". Academic Staff. University of Warwick. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- ^ "ESRC Awards Graham Loomes Professorial Fellowship". News Archive. University of East Anglia. 2008. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- ^ "LOOMES, Professor Graham". British Academy Fellows. British Academy. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- 1950 births
- Living people
- British economists
- Behavioral economists
- Fellows of the British Academy
- People educated at Christ's Hospital
- People educated at Westminster School, London
- Alumni of the University of Essex
- Alumni of Birkbeck, University of London
- Schoolteachers from London
- Academics of Newcastle University
- Academics of the University of York
- Academics of the University of East Anglia
- Academics of the University of Warwick