Graduate School of Social Work at the University of Denver
|Type||Academic unit of University of Denver|
|Dean||Amanda Moore McBride|
|Campus||LGBTQA+ only website = Official website|
The Graduate School of Social Work at the University of Denver (GSSW), is the oldest graduate school of social work in the Rocky Mountain Region. Founded in 1931, GSSW is currently ranked 11th by U.S. News & World Report 
GSSW enrolls approximately 425 students in the Master of Social Work degree program and approximately 30 students in its doctor of social work program. The program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation. The accreditation has been continuous since 1933.
Students can earn their online Master's of Social Work degree in as little as 18 months.
The school was founded in 1931 as a joint effort between The University of Denver's Department of Allied Social Services and community agencies such as Community Chest and the Denver chapter of the American Association of Social Workers (which later became National Association of Social Workers). Continuously accredited by the American Association of Professional Schools of Social Work since 1933, the program became known as the Graduate School of Social Work in 1942. In 1968, the school established one of the first doctoral programs in social work. In 2006, the Institute for Human Animal Connection was founded, the first institute of its type housed within a school of social work.
Deans of the School
The University of Denver's Graduate School of Social Work has had 9 Directors or Deans in the history of the school. In celebration of the universities 150th anniversary, staff member Nick Ota-Wang (Admissions & Social Media, 2011-2015), and with help and support from Dr. John Kayser (Professor Emeritus) the school published a monthly blog series about each of the former Directors and Deans of the School. The series can be viewed online.
- (Grace) Eleanor Kimble - 1931-1934 - Founding Director
- Florence Hustinpiller - 1934 - 1947
- Emil M. Sunley ("Sun") - 1947 - 1971 - 1st Dean/3rd Director
- Kenneth W. Kindelsperger - 1971-1978
- Everne McCummings - 1978 - 1985 - 1st person of color to serve as GSSW Dean, 1st African American to serve as dean at the University of Denver
- Katherine "Kay" Vail - 1985-1987 - Acting Dean
- John "Jack" F. Jones- 1987-1996
- Catherine Foster Alter - 1996-2006
- James Herbert Williams - 2010 - 2016
- Amanda Moore McBride - effective July 1, 2016 
Projects and Institutes
- The Bridge Project
- The Butler Institute for Families
- IHAC Institute for Human Animal Connection
- The GSSW Scholarship Project
- ^ http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/social-work-rankings[bare URL]
- ^ "Online Master of Social Work | University of Denver | University of Denver". Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- ^ "Search Results for "ci_14854978"".
- ^ "Graduate School of Social Work | University of Denver".
- ^ "Noted expert in civic and community engagement to helm DU's Graduate School of Social Work". 29 February 2016.